Talk

Advanced search

Novels which feature the reality of life with young children

(41 Posts)
Lilipot15 Sat 13-Feb-16 14:29:42

I like reading but since I've had my two small children have found it very difficult to get into reading again. Have had some books recommended to me here, I enjoy things like Anne Tyler.
But lots of books (and TV shows and films) seem so far-removed from my life at the moment.
I don't really like chick lit light stuff. Wondered if there are any books I could identify a bit with at the moment?

Quogwinkle Sat 13-Feb-16 17:51:33

Night Waking by Sarah Moss is pretty realistic.

LifeHuh Sat 13-Feb-16 20:41:41

I was going to suggest Night Waking!

Lilipot15 Sun 14-Feb-16 12:40:38

Thank you, I've just bought it for my kindle so will see how I get on. I'm in that phase of still feeding at night and with a small age gap never caught up on lost sleep so I think my concentration not at its best!!

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Sun 14-Feb-16 20:06:32

Not quite sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but The Light Between Oceans is a lovely read. It has a baby/small child in it. It'll make you cry, though, at the end.

Margaret Forster's The Seduction of Mrs Pendlebury always seems to me to be a realistic portrayal of a small child.

SellFridges Sun 14-Feb-16 20:09:07

I haven't read any of those, but will look out.

The most realistic I've come across was the latest Bridget Jones. I particularly liked the bit where she ate grated cheddar from the fridge instead of a meal.

HalfStar Sun 14-Feb-16 20:10:34

Night Waking 100%!

The type of novel you have outlined is a rare beast.

Indiaplain Sun 14-Feb-16 21:32:09

Go to sleep by Helen Walsh is really good, although more about PND I guess. A good read though.

Sadik Sun 14-Feb-16 22:40:12

Not quite the same thing (and her children are older - around 5 & 7 at the start), but I love the Diary of a Provincial Lady by EM Delafield. There's a great review by Jilly Cooper which sums up how completely she catches life with small children even now, despite the fact that she was writing in the 1930s. It's also good to read in bits & pieces, as it's actually a series of magazine columns in a diary format (a la Bridget Jones) collected together.

annandale Sun 14-Feb-16 22:48:10

Cazalet Chronicles, especially the second and third.

Backingvocals Sun 14-Feb-16 22:48:38

Diary of a Provincial Lady is a great call. It really captures the drudgery and humour of this phase and is a really nice light read if that's what you need right now.

And not a novel but a Life's Work by Rachel Cusk was really spot on about the baby years - for me at least.

ApologiesToInsectLife Sun 14-Feb-16 22:49:09

Behind the scenes at the museum - Kate Atkinson.

annandale Sun 14-Feb-16 23:37:43

A Special Relationship - Douglas Kennedy

Lilipot15 Mon 15-Feb-16 00:05:50

Thank you - I started Night Waking earlier and for once had to force myself to stop reading. So good to read a book which which I can identify a little. Kicking myself for not bringing Kindle through for first feed!
Will look up the others too.

Lilipot15 Mon 15-Feb-16 00:09:12

Just went to Amazon to look at The Light between Oceans and I bought it before I had children - sat there waiting to be read!

GiraffesAndButterflies Mon 15-Feb-16 00:14:28

Seconding the latest Bridget Jones. The bit where they all have D&V is hilarious!

Lilipot15 Mon 15-Feb-16 10:15:50

Is the Bridget Jones book as good as the first one? In my mind they have been spoilt by the films which I just didn't enjoy as much.

eddiemairswife Mon 15-Feb-16 10:30:35

have a look at Margaret Drabble's early books.

eddiemairswife Mon 15-Feb-16 10:32:44

Helen Simpson's volumes of short stories.

PenguinVox Mon 15-Feb-16 21:04:37

I read a few Jodi Picoult books after having kids and I liked the way she wrote about family life.

Lilipot15 Mon 15-Feb-16 21:57:50

Thanks - lots to be looking at.

slightlyglitterbrained Mon 15-Feb-16 22:31:21

Thanks for the Night Waking suggestion, bought it and finished last night.

Only prob is that it's making me think twice about ttc DC2! grin

gingercat12 Wed 17-Feb-16 18:32:04

The Hand that First Held Mine by Maggie O'Farrell

Some parts of The Dept of Specu

Enjoy flowers

Am looking up the earlier suggestions.

firefly78 Wed 17-Feb-16 18:37:05

going to download some of these

ifigoup Wed 17-Feb-16 18:38:47

I Don't Know How She Does It by Allison Pearson is very honest and realistic about the fact that some women actively prefer going back to work rather than staying home with their children, and the guilt and second-guessing that goes with it. Sounds depressing but in the end it's very uplifting (and funny!) I really like it even though the author is a big Tory and I'm not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now