Talk

Advanced search

Why is my kindle recommending me utter tosh?

(7 Posts)
TheoriginalLEM Sat 30-Jan-16 22:29:56

So i got a lovely new paperwhite for christmas - i love it. BUT it is recommending really trashy books, totally not my sort of read - why is this?

Quogwinkle Sun 31-Jan-16 05:39:09

Computer generated, same as Goodreads. Their recommendations are often laughable. Ignore, and get genuine recommendations from MN smile

magimedi Sun 31-Jan-16 08:50:37

If you start looking at non tosh (not saying you are looking at tosh) it will recommend you stuff based on what you have looked at.

If I've looked idly at a couple of Sci Fi books, the next time I log in there will be recommendations based on that.

PS Am not saying that Sci Fi is tosh!!

TheoriginalLEM Sun 31-Jan-16 08:54:05

interesting because i tend to look at the daily deals etc and well. mostly shite. i tend to read a mix of crime , some fantasy and classics so why i get recommendations for chick lit i don't know

magimedi Sun 31-Jan-16 09:18:48

Am sure it is because you are looking at daily deals.

Go off & have a good look at books that you like, even if you have already read them & see what happens!

FrustratedFrugal Sun 31-Jan-16 17:13:48

I've had a Kindle for years and an extensive search and purchase history but the recommendations are still idiotic and never ever anything I'd buy.

KurriKurri Wed 03-Feb-16 15:45:25

My DD has just mentioned to me today that her kindle has started doing this - it recommends anything related to anything you may have glanced at on amazon, rather than what you have actually bought.

I think that somewhere (as on amazon recs) there might be a 'stop recommending me this' type option.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now