Talk

Advanced search

Why is my kindle recommending me utter tosh?

(7 Posts)
TheoriginalLEM Sat 30-Jan-16 22:29:56

So i got a lovely new paperwhite for christmas - i love it. BUT it is recommending really trashy books, totally not my sort of read - why is this?

OP’s posts: |
Quogwinkle Sun 31-Jan-16 05:39:09

Computer generated, same as Goodreads. Their recommendations are often laughable. Ignore, and get genuine recommendations from MN smile

magimedi Sun 31-Jan-16 08:50:37

If you start looking at non tosh (not saying you are looking at tosh) it will recommend you stuff based on what you have looked at.

If I've looked idly at a couple of Sci Fi books, the next time I log in there will be recommendations based on that.

PS Am not saying that Sci Fi is tosh!!

TheoriginalLEM Sun 31-Jan-16 08:54:05

interesting because i tend to look at the daily deals etc and well. mostly shite. i tend to read a mix of crime , some fantasy and classics so why i get recommendations for chick lit i don't know

OP’s posts: |
magimedi Sun 31-Jan-16 09:18:48

Am sure it is because you are looking at daily deals.

Go off & have a good look at books that you like, even if you have already read them & see what happens!

FrustratedFrugal Sun 31-Jan-16 17:13:48

I've had a Kindle for years and an extensive search and purchase history but the recommendations are still idiotic and never ever anything I'd buy.

KurriKurri Wed 03-Feb-16 15:45:25

My DD has just mentioned to me today that her kindle has started doing this - it recommends anything related to anything you may have glanced at on amazon, rather than what you have actually bought.

I think that somewhere (as on amazon recs) there might be a 'stop recommending me this' type option.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in