Talk

Advanced search

Best Virginia Woolf book to read first?

(11 Posts)
Talulaley Fri 15-Jan-16 14:51:21

I've never read any books by Virginia Woolf, but would like to, any recommendations, what shall I start with? My concentration isn't great, but I need to read something better than the trash I've read in the past!

newlabelwriter Fri 15-Jan-16 14:52:49

Orlando is amazing and not at all a hard read.

LauraChant Fri 15-Jan-16 14:56:48

I would say Mrs Dalloway. "Mrs. Dalloway said she would buy the flowers herself" is one of the only first lines from books I can ever remember - that and The Hobbit!

Quogwinkle Fri 15-Jan-16 16:49:20

How about Flush, the fictional biography of Elizabeth Barrett Browning's spaniel? I have read it, but a long time ago. Have also read Mrs Dalloway and enjoyed that. If you like that then you might also enjoy The Hours by Michael Cunningham which is heavily influenced by Mrs Dalloway.

AnneEtAramis Sun 17-Jan-16 12:49:00

I have only read Mrs Dalloway and To The Lighthouse and both felt like hard work when I was reading but I would come across a sentence or a passage and decide VW was a genius. Mrs Dalloway stands out for me and I see has already been recommended.

angie95 Mon 18-Jan-16 22:18:33

Orlando is wonderful

LassWiTheDelicateAir Mon 18-Jan-16 23:02:29

Virginia Woolf was a long toil up a muddy field. The Hours was considerably more enjoyable than anything she wrote.

LauraChant Tue 19-Jan-16 13:56:42

I found To The Lighthouse quite hard work but I thought Mrs Dalloway was quite a smooth read.

NecklessMumster Mon 25-Jan-16 19:02:24

Her diaries and letters are very readable if you are happy to read non fiction

Allalonenow Mon 25-Jan-16 19:09:30

Another vote for Mrs Dalloway, it's a very absorbing read.

tumbletumble Tue 26-Jan-16 07:49:07

I enjoyed Mrs Dalloway (and The Hours too), but my favourite is The Waves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now