Talk

Advanced search

Is 'Elizabeth is missing' worth persevering with?

(17 Posts)
Destinysdaughter Mon 11-Jan-16 21:17:55

I've started reading this and I'm finding it so depressing I'm not sure I want to continue with it. I know it's had good reviews but my dad had dementia and I was his carer for a while so I think I'm finding it too close to home tbh. I hate reading books or films about dementia in general having witnessed it but wondered if this book is worth carrying on reading, any thoughts?

sunnydayinmay Mon 11-Jan-16 21:28:47

I enjoyed it, but I can see where you're coming from.

southeastdweller Mon 11-Jan-16 21:50:11

Didn't like this book at all. It had too much of a creative writing feel, just didn't ring true at all. Life's too short to read books you're not enjoying.

Readysteadyknit Mon 11-Jan-16 21:53:41

I thought it was well written and a good read but think it's probably to near the knuckle if you have a loved one with dementia

Readysteadyknit Mon 11-Jan-16 21:54:16

"Too" not "to"

RoganJosh Mon 11-Jan-16 21:55:17

I would say not. I plodded on hoping it would improve and it didn't.

barnet Mon 11-Jan-16 21:55:43

I liked it, but it is sad. I think in your situation i wouldn't carry on with it. I appreciated it for the insight into dementia, but that's because I have no experience of it.

CocktailQueen Mon 11-Jan-16 21:56:35

I enjoyed it. Have had a bad year with dh's mum and dementia but this was uplifting in a way - I'd persevere.

Destinysdaughter Tue 12-Jan-16 10:08:29

Thanks for all your views, I'll park it for the time being, have got lots of other books to read!

squidgyapple Wed 13-Jan-16 20:25:47

I really enjoyed it but can understand that you wouldn't if it's too close to home.

SageMist Wed 13-Jan-16 20:31:44

I listened to this as an audio book from Audible. I must admit it took ages to get into, but I realised about a third of the way through that I was hooked. I'm really glad I persevered with it.

Bbqsareoverrated Wed 13-Jan-16 20:51:21

I read it and, overall, didn't find it as depressing as other dementia-related books (like Still Alice or the film Away from her which I sobbed at..as my dad has dementia). I remember finding the beginning more true to home than later on. However, I completely understand that different things will trigger different reactions in different people.

The main reason I would stop reading it as I didn't think it was very good and didn't life up to the hype!

LilacSpunkMonkey Wed 13-Jan-16 20:54:26

I read it last week and I enjoyed it as much as it's possible to 'enjoy' a book with the subject matter of dementia.

I stuck with it to find out where Elizabeth was and to find out what happened to Sukey.

Doubt I'll read it again though.

hollowlegs Wed 13-Jan-16 22:39:19

It bored me silly.

chrome100 Wed 20-Jan-16 16:00:58

I really enjoyed it, I thought it was a good story. My mum has dementia.

redhat Wed 20-Jan-16 16:03:07

I got half way through the audiobook and abandoned it. It was very boring.

Pootle40 Sun 24-Jan-16 20:55:00

I enjoyed it but it does seem one of those 'marmite' books!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now