Talk

Advanced search

Guess what this book is? History/plague/black death related

(12 Posts)
aprilshowerssoon Sun 10-Jan-16 16:22:30

Okay it is guess the book time. Can I start by saying what I don't think this book is is Connie Willis - "Doomsday book" although it kind of fits the storyline. I read this book at least 20 years ago. It definitely contains a bit of time travel to the past and turning up in an area where there is plague. The only thing I remember is it was a very disappointing story in that all the possible heroes end up dying of the black death. When I looked up the little I can remember of the story line the Connie Ellis book came up but that book looks like it has a lot of time travel in it which I don't think this one did. Please can anyone think of a similar type story line book that it might be? Thanks very much.

FrancesHB Sun 10-Jan-16 16:24:14

is it definitely adult fiction? I think I've read this, as a teenager. Can't remember the title, but it might come to me.

aprilshowerssoon Sun 10-Jan-16 16:25:04

actually seen another synopsis now and it might be that book. Has anyone read it - does everyone in the historic setting die?

FrancesHB Sun 10-Jan-16 16:25:29

children of winter- berlie doherty?

FrancesHB Sun 10-Jan-16 16:27:05

The one I read was definitely Children of Winter

reallybadidea Sun 10-Jan-16 16:34:11

I read doomsday last year. I skipped a lot of it, because it was so freaking depressing, but I think everyone in the historical setting died pretty much.

There wasn't a huge amount of time travel - she goes back to the past and there's 'slippage' and she ends up in the wrong year, hence the black death being around. Back in 21st century Oxford they eventually realise she's in the wrong year and have to work out how to get her back. When they eventually do, she's the only one left in the village who hasn't died (or perhaps there was one other person who she was going to flee with?)

Ring any bells?

aprilshowerssoon Sun 10-Jan-16 16:56:30

Have just read children of winter with my children (great book) which prompted me to think what this book was.

It nay be that book reallybadidea - think I am going to buy it to check - I do remember it being a good read.

TheBestChocolateIsFree Sun 10-Jan-16 17:02:38

Yes

<<Spoiler alert>>

all the locals die in Doomsday Book and there's huge chunks of unbroken chapters following our heroine in the Middle Ages

It's a good read even if it isn't the book you're thinking of, so I'd recommend it..

reallybadidea Sun 10-Jan-16 17:06:58

If you like time travel books, the other one I enjoyed was 'Time and Again' by Jack Finney, set between 1970s and 19th century New York.

piebald Sun 10-Jan-16 17:08:49

Another fanyastic time travel book is Kindred by Octavia E Butler

BeautifulComicalThings Fri 15-Jan-16 20:25:10

Is it the Kiss Of Death? A children's book though so maybe not but it's based on the Black Death. I really enjoyed it when I was younger!

BeautifulComicalThings Fri 15-Jan-16 20:25:46

Ah just realised you read it 20 years ago it can't be that then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now