Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for silly books

(13 Posts)
Bonywasawarriorwayayix Sun 03-Jan-16 18:05:34

Someone in our book club (excuse to go to the pub) has asked for something 'a bit easier next time'. I'm not sure exactly what she means, so I'm going for 'silly/light hearted'. What are your favourites?

kateemo Sun 03-Jan-16 18:12:36

Currently reading Surf Mama by Wilma Johnson, an autobiography. Very light and I'm enjoying it. Probably identifying with her a bit too much, TBH. Wanting to move to somewhere like Biarritz, live in a crumbling ruin, and learn to surf. . .

www.amazon.co.uk/Surf-Mama-Womans-Happiness-Perfect/dp/1849535914/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1451844593&sr=1-1&keywords=surf+mama

Pipbin Sun 03-Jan-16 18:14:30

I love David Seders. It's all biographical but lovely, mainly light hearted, stuff.

cdtaylornats Sun 03-Jan-16 23:25:04

One of Bill Brysons travel books "Notes from a Small Island" or "A Walk in the Woods"

Pipbin Sun 03-Jan-16 23:59:38

David Sedaris, even. en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Sedaris

TheSteveMilliband Mon 04-Jan-16 00:16:54

The tent, the bucket and me by Emma Kennedy is a good read, but one of my favourite books is the life and times of the thunderbolt kid by Bill Bryson. Laugh out loud in places, warm and affectionate. Look out for the doidy cup

auberginesrus Fri 08-Jan-16 22:30:36

Yes to David Sedaris!

Bonywasawarriorwayayix Sun 10-Jan-16 08:27:22

David Sedaris looks fun. Thanks. smile

ThursdayLastWeek Sun 10-Jan-16 08:31:39

The St Mary's Chronicles by Jodi Taylor
The Stephanie Plum series?
Jasper Fforde?
Christopher Moore?

piebald Sun 10-Jan-16 18:34:42

David Sedaris is brilliant, it helps if youve listened to him so you can read it in his voice

Hygge Mon 11-Jan-16 00:26:06

What did you read last time?

I've recently read A Year of Living Danishly by Helen Russell, which was an easy non-fiction read. It's a light-hearted look at a British couple who move to Denmark, he works for Lego, she is a journalist so works freelance for UK publications talking about her experiences in Denmark.

I don't think I've read anything that suits you fiction-wise, but an easy to read thriller-type was A Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson. It's not the best I've read but it's recent, was easy to follow, but still managed a few twists and surprises.

Bonywasawarriorwayayix Wed 13-Jan-16 08:12:28

We read Lucky Jim last. I didn't get the humour tbh.

Our book group seems to be disintegrating, so looks like I can read This Book Will Save Your Life without any distractions now.

Hrafnkel Tue 26-Jan-16 21:51:52

Yes yes yes David Sedaris!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now