Talk

Advanced search

What should I read in 2016?

(13 Posts)
YouStillLookLikeAMovie Fri 01-Jan-16 22:17:04

I realise this is a bit me me me, but hopefully you'll indulge me.

I've lost my reading mojo in the last few years, especially since DS (DC3) was born in 2014. Last year I really enjoyed A God in Ruins, the Rachel Joyce Harold Fry/Queenie books and, unexpectedly, Cathy Rentzenbrink's Last Act of Love.

I also, finally, have a really large bookcase with an empty shelf. So read books don't need to be given to charity shops. I hate doing that, so I've been mostly library recently.

Any killer recommendations?

antimatter Fri 01-Jan-16 22:51:13

The man called Ove, IMHO feel good book in the spirit of Rachel Joyce books

damncat Fri 01-Jan-16 22:55:14

Books?

YouStillLookLikeAMovie Fri 01-Jan-16 22:57:40

Thank you. Will check it out!

I was practically skipping with glee when I unpacked my old books after 4 years in cardboard boxes. But all the ones I saved were real classics we're talking Orwell and Atwood and Dickens. I'd really like to get my groove back.

BestIsWest Fri 01-Jan-16 23:00:15

Come and join us on the 50 books challenge thread. You don't have to read 50 books but it is brilliant for recommendations both fiction and non fiction.

YouStillLookLikeAMovie Fri 01-Jan-16 23:03:51

I've had a look, but I'm scared. blush. I'd be really lucky to manage 2 a month.

SatsukiKusakabe Sat 02-Jan-16 00:42:29

I managed 20 last year, don't be scared. It's a place to share reviews and recommendations, no one's keeping track grin

TolpuddleFarter Sat 02-Jan-16 00:52:58

The Universe Versus Alex Woods - very good book, easy to read, and heartwarming without being too sentimental.

Quogwinkle Sat 02-Jan-16 05:44:34

You still - don't be scared to join in the 50 Book thread - it's really friendly, and you don't have to reach a target of 50 books - no one minds if you don't. But what you will get out of it is masses of recommendations for reading material, so you'll never be short of something to read ever again smile

My would recommend giving The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell a go. It's long and an absolute page turner. And if you enjoy that then there is Slade House, which is a shorter follow on novel, and very creepy.

Have you read the Cormoran Strike novels by Robert Galbraith (aka J K Rowling)? I loved them. And S J Parris's Giordano Bruno novels, starting with Heresy (which incidentally is in the January kindle book sale for 99p). They are great if you love well written historical thrillers, and C J Sansom's Shardlake series (Dissolution begins the series) - also really good.

Quogwinkle Sat 02-Jan-16 05:47:36

My I would recommend ..... (My kindle thinks it's being clever racing ahead with random autocorrect suggestions blush)

BestIsWest Sat 02-Jan-16 09:33:16

Don't be scared, everyone goes at their own pace.

YouStillLookLikeAMovie Sat 02-Jan-16 10:52:51

Thank you for the ideas . I'll check them all out.

I'll work up the courage to tiptoe over to the other thread too

YouStillLookLikeAMovie Sat 02-Jan-16 10:54:46

I've read one Gabraith and did enjoy it. Hadn't thought about the new one (ones?). It was a library one and the reservation wait was ages!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now