Talk

Advanced search

Any recommendations for science fiction fantasy?

(24 Posts)
TheWoodenSpoonOfMischief Wed 30-Dec-15 08:15:06

I like fantasy but bit the medieval or dragons based ones.
I used to love them when I was young but haven't read any in years.
I loved Stephen Donaldson and Piers Anthony if that helps!

TheWoodenSpoonOfMischief Wed 30-Dec-15 08:15:53

I meant not medieval or dragon

FishWithABicycle Wed 30-Dec-15 08:16:31

Ben Aaronovitch Rivers of London series.

TheWoodenSpoonOfMischief Wed 30-Dec-15 08:21:54

Thanks! That looks fab. I've just ordered it smile

Quogwinkle Wed 30-Dec-15 08:31:40

Seconding Rivers of London. I'm not a fan of fantasy novels, normally, but I have read all of this series, and love them.

Others on here have recommended Jasper Fforde, and his novels are on my watch list (for when I've reduced my pile of tbr books). They will appeal if you get on well with Ben Aaronovitch's series.

CMOTDibbler Wed 30-Dec-15 08:33:55

I really enjoyed The Last Changeling by FR Maher which is the same sort of real world/ fae world concept as the Ben Aaronovitch books (which I adore).

You might want to try Jasper Ffordde as well which is kind of quirky fantasy

HannahHobbins Wed 30-Dec-15 08:37:36

YY to Ben Aaronovitch and Jasper Fforde, but also Patrick Ness, his Chaos Walking trilogy is amazing. (Anything by him is brill, Shades of Grey was awesome)

I have also just read The Martian by Andy Weir which was epic.

TheWoodenSpoonOfMischief Wed 30-Dec-15 09:03:15

Thanks. I've got a nice list now.

CoteDAzur Wed 30-Dec-15 17:43:29

Do you want some real sci-fi recommendations, as well? If so, what kind of sci-fi do you like?

MyIronLung Wed 30-Dec-15 23:04:25

I don't mind a bit of fantasy but proper sci-if is the way forward grin

Anything by Julian May is pure brilliance! Especially the Galactic Milieu series and the Saga of the Exiles.

Other favourite sci-fi authors are:
Alastair Reynolds
Peter F.Hamilton (nice bit of space opera :-) )
Gary Gibson
Dan Simmons

If it's magic and Dragons, ect, that you're after then I don't think you can go far wrong with the Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay.

NeededANameChangeAnyway Wed 30-Dec-15 23:07:54

A bit random perhaps but what about Ilona Andrews? The Inn Keeper books are a mix of sci-fi/space/werewolf

TheWoodenSpoonOfMischief Wed 30-Dec-15 23:08:37

I'm open to anything but I like books with a real human element to them.
I'm not sure I've ever read any pure sci fi. I always think they're going to be quite technical with feelings of isolation.
I'm sure I'm wrong, right? smile

TheWoodenSpoonOfMischief Wed 30-Dec-15 23:10:22

Sorry previous message was to CoteDAzur.
I don't know why but books about dragons don't appeal to me at all.

TheSpectreOfMorningtonCrescent Wed 30-Dec-15 23:11:30

China Mieville. It's a a bit wtf at first because he doesn't set up or explain his worlds and just lets you get in with it.

TheSpectreOfMorningtonCrescent Wed 30-Dec-15 23:13:06

I shied away from the Martian for that reason, then started on holiday and couldn't put it down.

MyIronLung Wed 30-Dec-15 23:21:24

The Galactic Milieu books had me sobbing. If anything, there was a bit too much of a human element in them grin.

MyIronLung Wed 30-Dec-15 23:22:27

The Martian was one of my top reads this year. I too couldn't put it down!

TheWoodenSpoonOfMischief Wed 30-Dec-15 23:25:52

Dh has The Martian. He loved it too. I can add that to my list.

TheRadiantAerynSun Wed 30-Dec-15 23:39:59

I've been reading The Expanse series, by James A. Corey, which is proper Sci Fi but not overwhelmed with tech and has a cast of wonderful diverse characters.

The Vorkosigan Saga by Lois Master Bujold is also great character driven Sci Fi and each book in the series blends with other genres (romance, crime, adventure, comedy.) Unfortunately she has some of the worst book covers I've ever seen!

Octavia Butler is a classic and well worth a look. Try Wild Seed and Kindred.

Oh, and the Wool trilogy by Huge Howey was a really good near future dystopia, but with a rare sense of hope and optimism.

Neil Gaimen is worth a look for modern fantasy. Try American Gods.

TheRadiantAerynSun Wed 30-Dec-15 23:40:59

Huge Howey...bloody auto correct hmm HUGH!

CharleyDavidson Wed 30-Dec-15 23:46:18

<Rolls up sleeves>

Right, my favourite genre.

Yes, Rivers of London, I've just finished reading the last one and waiting impatiently for the next.

Magic Bites/Bleeds etc series is my very favourite. Just a fab world created for the Kate Daniels character. By Ilona Andrews. 8 books in the series.

Also by Ilona Andrews, Clean Sweep and Sweep in Peace.

First Grave on the left by Darynda Jones (ninth book soon to be released and anxiously awaited by me)

The Hollows books by Kim Harrison. Lots of those to read.

The Poison Study/ Magic Study / Fire Study books by Maria Snyder. (A teensy bit medieval, but only a bit. smile No dragons though.)

I'd suggest the Pern Books by Anne McCaffrey, but it has dragons and is medieval, so that's out.

TheWoodenSpoonOfMischief Thu 31-Dec-15 00:06:54

Thanks so much for all the recssmile
I've looked at all of them and there isn't one that I wouldn't want to read. I don't know why I've not bothered with fantasy/sci if all these years.
It looks like I have to join the 50 books a year thread now (and get off the internet)

TurduckenForDinner Thu 31-Dec-15 00:15:10

Agree with lots of these, especially Hugh Howey and Alastair Reynolds. I also recently read and enjoyed Station Eleven.

HannahHobbins Thu 31-Dec-15 00:24:20

Oh yes turducken that was also a mahoosive hit for me of the last year! Fantastic book.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now