Talk

Advanced search

Feel good book recommendations

(27 Posts)
WyrdByrd Tue 22-Dec-15 17:05:07

Currently trying to manage an anxiety/depression spike without resorting to the GP and could do with some distraction but have a Kindle full of thrillers and interesting but not particularly cheery novels.

Would like something a bit lighthearted but not too chick lit iykwim?

Have enjoyed Sue Townsend's books, Bridget Jones and this year liked Hello from the Gillespies and the Rosie Project and Rosie Effect so that's the kind of thing I'm after.

Maybe something about a working wife and mum in early middle age who has a huge mid life crisis adventure and turns her life into what it was mean to be wink ?!

LumelaMme Tue 22-Dec-15 18:42:27

The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett is probably the funniest book I've ever read (the premise is that the Queen gets into serious literature). So I suppose you could argue it's about a working wife and mum....!

IsItMeOr Tue 22-Dec-15 18:49:26

One for dissatisfied women of a certain age - although without any children - is Enchanted April. For me it captures that feeling of being on holiday.

Cold Comfort Farm is also fun.

They're both a fair bit older than the books you've mentioned, but have a look at the Amazon reviews and see what you think.

I've also enjoyed the earlier Marion Keyes books, although I don't think they fit your brief. They were just lots of fun (e.g. Watermelon era).

Sadik Tue 22-Dec-15 18:55:57

"something about a working wife and mum in early middle age who has a huge mid life crisis/adventure and turns her life into what it was mean to be"

You need the Diary of a Provincial Lady. It is absolutely 100% that, even though it's set in the 20s/30s, plus it's very funny.

WyrdByrd Tue 22-Dec-15 19:17:05

They all look like great suggestions - DD and I loved the Lady in the Van so Alan Bennett should definitely hit the spot.

I think I have the sample download of Cold Comfort Farm as that's been on my reading list for a few years but had forgotten about it.

Diary of a Provincial Lady is something I'd have never picked up (judging a book by it's cover) but the 'blurb' on Amazon looks pretty good.

I used to love Marian Keyes but went off her about 4 or books ago and haven't read any of her recent ones.

Keep 'em coming as I suspect I'll be reading my way out of my current slump for some time confused

Sylviecat Tue 22-Dec-15 20:20:56

I've just downloaded 'a man called ove' as its only 99p on kindle today. It's described as heartwarming and will leave you with a spring in your step?!

Watching thread with interest as I like the kind of books you describe.

WyrdByrd Tue 22-Dec-15 22:18:50

smile sylvie

I started to read a much broader selection of books about 5 years ago, and I just can't get into chick lit these days, which is kind of a shame as I could do with something light and fluffy at the mo, but it all seems so far-fetched and formulaic I just cba. I guess that's age catching up with me too!

A Man Named Ove is definitely worth a try for me - I've read a couple of books on the 'People who've bought this...' list on Amazon and Ove sounds a bit like my DH!

Have you read The unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and the sequel The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy - both very good, gentle and bittersweet stories. I have Rachel Joyce's new one, Perfect to read too,

IsItMeOr Wed 23-Dec-15 16:22:54

Ooh ooh ooh! Have you read The Hundred Year Old Man who...? I enjoyed that for escapism, although it's slightly gory in places iirc.

I know what you mean about more recent Marian Keyes (sorry Marian).

Have you tried the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency?

Or Georgette Heyer?

Or I found these MC Beaton ones very light-hearted and fun.

WyrdByrd Wed 23-Dec-15 17:13:01

I've started The 100 Yr old man... and am probablu about a quarter of the way through but haven't picked it up for months - it didn't really grab me.

Don;t know why I didn't think of Georgette Heyer as I have 3 audiobooks of hers read by Richard Armitage (yum!). Might have to try Venetia as it's my favourite and the audiobooks are heavily abridged.

Marrou Thu 24-Dec-15 18:49:06

Heartbreak Hotel by Deborah Moggach I seem to remember being enjoyable and feel good.

ZenNudist Fri 25-Dec-15 00:23:59

I like Rosie project. Might try Ove. Looking for similar read for Christmas sitting around in laws...

where'd you go Bernadette by Maria Semple is really enjoyable.

Perhaps try David Nichols 'starter for ten' (not 'One Day')

I reckon 'the other side of the story' is best Marian Keyes book to try first. But there's loads of good'uns.

Off to download 'Ove'

ZenNudist Fri 25-Dec-15 00:25:26

Oh 'the Help', feel good central...

Maplessglobe Fri 25-Dec-15 00:40:18

Fatima's good fortune.
Out of print now but still available second hand. Really sweet, easy, uplifting read.
I know the feeling, OP. Feel better flowers

antimatter Sat 26-Dec-15 14:43:46

I loved "The last letter from your lover" , "The horse dancer" and "The girl you left behind" by Jojo Moyes

Cinnamon2013 Sat 26-Dec-15 14:52:29

Really enjoying Where'd You Go Bernadette? It's brilliantly funny, easy to read and very original

KimmySchmidtsSmile Sat 26-Dec-15 23:36:48

coming on to recommend Where'd you go Bernadette, to find it nominated twice already. grin
non-fiction: you've been publically shamed jon ronson
david sedaris short stories and jesse eisenberg's short story collection
Hope you feel better soon X

KimmySchmidtsSmile Sat 26-Dec-15 23:46:15

back again....
just went off to see if it is available on kindle and it is

k-pax gene brewer
very enjoyable

WyrdByrd Sat 26-Dec-15 23:56:55

Hi all, thanks for the continuing recommendations.

I had a new Kindle for Christmas so now I can access all my existing downloads and download some new ones.

Have started with 'Bernadette' - read the 'blurb' and related to it instantly - I think my DH and DD would describe me in much the same way and I sometimes feel like running away so it sounds right up my street.

Have also downloaded a self-help book called "F*ck Anxiety" grin!

WyrdByrd Sat 26-Dec-15 23:58:07

Thinking I might also go for Caitlin Moran's last couple of books.

WyrdByrd Sun 27-Dec-15 00:00:40

K-Pax sounds good - didn't they make it into a film a while back?

I enjoyed The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (although it's hardly 'light') - so if anyone knows anything about her other books that would be fab.

WyrdByrd Sun 27-Dec-15 00:03:24

Zen definitely couldn't do 'One Day' - partly because I attempted it when it came out and found I just couldn't bring myself to care about the characters. Secondly because I know the outcome and the sudden death of my 'first love' a few months ago is what's triggered my anxiety issues sad

bodenbiscuit Sun 27-Dec-15 00:08:37

If you like Margaret Atwood then I would really recommend Cat's Eye and The Robber Bride.

WyrdByrd Sun 27-Dec-15 00:19:27

Ta muchly boden - added to the list! I looked at lots of hers after reading THT last year but really didn't know where to start.

Also have Silver Linings Playbook sample downloaded to take a look at.

WyrdByrd Sun 27-Dec-15 17:52:33

I started 'Bernadette' this morning and am already quarter of the way through and loving it 😀.

Maplessglobe Mon 28-Dec-15 16:41:09

Good! Glad to hear it. I loved that, too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now