Talk

Advanced search

Divergent/Four trilogy (Veronica Roth) - Reading order?

(9 Posts)
rutnoast Thu 17-Dec-15 13:37:51

Just finished reading the first book (Divergent) and really enjoyed it.

Would it be better to read all of the trilogy and then the books from Four's perspective, or alternate between them?

FernieB Mon 21-Dec-15 23:21:16

No idea myself but my DDs say read the trilogy first.

gingercat12 Sun 27-Dec-15 07:52:42

The Four trilogy only refers to events before and during the events in Divergent, so it makes no difference. It does not go up to book 2.

Hope you enjoy it.

rutnoast Mon 04-Jan-16 13:44:01

Thank you smile

gingercat12 Mon 04-Jan-16 19:09:55

Did you enjoy it (whichever you chose in the end)?

descalina Thu 07-Jan-16 11:48:17

I haven't read the rest yet, and still haven't decided which order to go for. I know chronologically it makes no difference which I read next, but I'm wondering if the insights into Four would make the subsequent trilogy books better, or less good.

Scared to google for any more opinions because I've already read spoilers accidentally!

descalina Thu 07-Jan-16 11:49:15

(sorry for thread hijack but I have the same issue!)

gingercat12 Thu 07-Jan-16 12:51:59

descalina IMHO Divergent is by far the strongest novel of the trilogy. The Four novels add to that already quite good story, so it is up to you.

In the original novels you see Four from Tris' point of view and she is quite clueless and self-centred. So the Four stories complement the main story quite well. In those few crucial scenes when Tris goes 'Well, I do not know why said that or did that.', like the knife-throwing scene, you get Four's inner thoughts.

I am not sure if the Four stories will make you enjoy the subsequent novels more or not. I have read them at the end and liked them. But then I like Four.

Enjoy!

rutnoast Fri 08-Jan-16 14:48:36

I think I'm going to read Insurgent next, then read the Four books before Allegiant as I understand that is partly told from Four's PoV.

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now