Talk

Advanced search

If you had most of the festive period to yourself what books would you curl up with?

(13 Posts)
gailforce1 Tue 15-Dec-15 19:22:26

I have the Country Child, A Christmas Carol and A Child's Christmas in Wales for Christmas Eve but want a god sized tome for the rest of the holiday period.
I don't like sci fi/ romance/violence.
The Goldfinch is sitting on my shelf from last year but has anyone any other suggestions?

Jenijena Tue 15-Dec-15 19:24:26

I've really enjoyed 'our endless numbered days' this year...

LaurieFairyCake Tue 15-Dec-15 19:26:45

If you haven't read 'the paying guests' it's very good

Ballet Shoes
Blyton's, 'The Secret Island'
Charlotte Sometimes
Goodnight Mr Tom
Sense and Sensibility, P&P and Persuasion
Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day
Wilkie Collins
Harry Potter
Stephen King's Dark Tower series
Bill Bryson

Quogwinkle Tue 15-Dec-15 20:18:33

yy to Harry Potter. I did that one Christmas, before DH and DC. Just me and Ddog and Harry Potter smile Blissful uninterrupted reading interspersed with crisp cold dog walks.

southeastdweller Tue 15-Dec-15 21:33:05

The Paying Guests was the book I curled up with last Christmas and hugely recommend it. This year it's Rebecca - have you read that?

What's putting you off The Goldfinch?

shoeaddict83 Wed 16-Dec-15 14:51:32

Rebecca is my favourite book, my mum bought me a first edition for xmas years ago and its pride of place on my shelf! LOVE it!

I discovered Mark Billingham a few months ago and have been devouring his Tom Thorne detective series, theres 13 of them so would love to just curl up with those! Ditto to Angela Marsden too and her Kim Stone series.

shoeaddict83 Wed 16-Dec-15 14:52:44

if you havent read it Room by Emma Donoghue (just been made into a film) is excellent. Quite heart-wrenching but such a difficult and different subject matter. I couldnt put it down.

gailforce1 Thu 17-Dec-15 20:02:05

Thank you for your suggestions.
shoeaddict I have read Room and could not put it down either.
southeastdweller I will take Rebecca as a back up as I am away from home and won't be able to get the library!

Themodernuriahheep Thu 17-Dec-15 23:52:26

Dickens. Bleak House and The Pickwick Papers. No question. And Little Women so you can enjoy them giving their Christmas breakfast away and weep over Beth dying of goodness.

WhataRacquet Fri 18-Dec-15 00:51:55

I would re-read Jilly Cooper Riders, Rivals and Polo.

AvaCrowder Fri 18-Dec-15 00:58:49

How could anybody say Dickens, but not a Tale of Two Cities, it was the best times. It is a far far better thing that I have ever known before.

iamEarthymama Fri 18-Dec-15 01:44:35

I have a long awaited sequel to truly much loved novel that changed my life, the Fifth Sacred Thing by Starhawk
This latest is City of Refuge, which Star crowd funded after her publishers said there was no market for this book
We were part of that so the ebook is in my Kindle and the physical copy is winging its way smile
Do I think I will reread Fith Sacred abs the prequel Walking to Mercury

However I think Phil Rickman's latest Merrily Watkins mystery might be in my stocking so I might reread the last couple of those
What a luxury to plan this time grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now