Talk

Advanced search

Terry Pratchett-never read any good?

(27 Posts)
Ahardmanisgoodtofind Thu 10-Dec-15 20:53:47

Never read any of his books, always see people praising them on here though.
Any good? Which to read first?

Ahardmanisgoodtofind Thu 10-Dec-15 20:54:49

Title should say. Never read, any good?

Skullyton Thu 10-Dec-15 21:00:55

if you want to start somewhere, then you're better off starting at the beginning with the Discworld books

The Colour of Magic
The Light Fantastic

are the first two in the whole series smile

There is a definite order to reading them as the later books refer back to things that happened in the earlier ones.

They're all brilliant!

Skullyton Thu 10-Dec-15 21:02:13

this is the suggested reading order!

www.terrypratchettbooks.com/discworld-reading-order/

Wordsaremything Thu 10-Dec-15 21:10:50

Don't bother. Complete and utter rubbish, with a bit of twee and a bit of a nod to literary parallels for his more well read aficionados to congratulate themselves for recognising. Like Rowling but for grown ups - equally over rated. Nothing but low-brow 'clever' money-spinning nonsense.

Creatureofthenight Thu 10-Dec-15 21:15:12

So good! really funny, great cast of characters.

eltsihT Thu 10-Dec-15 21:22:21

I love a good Pratt! But tried reading in the suggested order and could never get through the book.

I picked up guards guards and was hooked. I have now read and enjoyed all the novels even the ones I first struggled with.

villainousbroodmare Thu 10-Dec-15 21:25:09

I was going to suggest "Guards! Guards!" too.

FourForYouGlenCoco Thu 10-Dec-15 21:25:30

I love TP, never really get too upset when celebrities die but shed a tear for him. The Discworld series is bloody brilliant.

FourForYouGlenCoco Thu 10-Dec-15 21:26:43

Oh and the ones he wrote with Neil Gaiman - American Gods is the first. A bit harder going than the Discworlds but so worth it!

chemenger Thu 10-Dec-15 21:31:48

Good Omens is the one he wrote with Neil Gaiman. American Gods was by Gaiman alone. I would miss out Colour of Magic, Gaurds Guards is a good place to start, I agree. The Science fiction ones he wrote with someone else; Long Earth etc are very different but still with similar underlying themes of society and difference.

BatmanLovesBaubles Thu 10-Dec-15 21:38:06

I'm just rereading Jingo and oh my goodness, the parallels between Klatch vs Ankh-Morpork compared to the current world political situation are just so apt. Some Morporkians are trying to get all the 'towel-heads' to leave the city and the young son of a character joins the Klatchians after being treated badly in Ankh-Morpork sad These themes have always been current, of course, but somehow are much more nerve hitting now.

MrsDeathOfRats Thu 10-Dec-15 21:39:53

Once you have read a few books you will understand my username.

I revert to dis world books time and time again. They never get old. Just my type of humour.

I do love the hogfather. And if you starting to read them at this time of year it's appropriate Christmassy-ness sorry for made up word

But do check out the reading order link as pp posted as they will make marginally more sense if read in order

Happy reading!

iamEarthymama Thu 10-Dec-15 21:40:26

These are my comfort books, along with Georgette Heyer.
If you don't giggle a few times in the first chapter they aren't for you.

I really do recommend them, not just for the books but for the sense of recognition you get when you meet a fellow fan.

RatOnnaStick Thu 10-Dec-15 21:47:01

I was coming on to say atart with Guards Guards but I see I have been beaten to it smile. Its the easiest and funniest introduction to the Disc for someone with no prior knowledge.

Leave The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic for now. Its like watching a sitcom pilot - awkward and hard to fathom.

cdtaylornats Thu 10-Dec-15 23:31:46

I like the Witches series best - although I like them all.

My favourite character is Death and his horse Binky. Although I quite like the Librarian.

PerspicaciaTick Thu 10-Dec-15 23:34:59

They are excellent. I'd start with Wyrd Sisters personally.

IamTheWhoreofBabylon Thu 10-Dec-15 23:44:49

Good omens
Not a disc world novel
It had me laughing out loud
As for disc world. I liked the colour of magic and some that followed. Death was my favourite but I did tire of them and haven't read them all

Ahardmanisgoodtofind Tue 15-Dec-15 19:43:30

I have just finished guards!guards!
Loved it now I need to decide wether I should go back to the beginning with the colour of magic or just Go on to Eric?

TeaStory Tue 15-Dec-15 19:47:18

Neither - go on to Men At Arms.

Ahardmanisgoodtofind Tue 15-Dec-15 19:53:13

That Is Awesome. Thank you!!

iklboo Tue 15-Dec-15 19:55:01

I will so, so miss my Terry Pratchett book under the tree this Christmas - and Christmases to come sad

RatOnnaStick Tue 15-Dec-15 20:02:25

Men at Arms and Feet of Clay next. Then swap to either Wyrd Sisters and Witches Abroad or Mort and Reaper Man. When you're feeling secure in the Discworld then go back and do The Colour of Magic which starts the Rincewind wizard story. Its a bit hard going, be strong and get through it and The Light Fantastic which follows straight on is quite readable and Sourcery and Eric and Interesting Times are good. When you've got that far you should have a good grasp of all the important character strands and can dive off anywhere you fancy.

pointythings Wed 16-Dec-15 20:37:23

I would just carry on with the Watch after Feet of Clay, the way TeaStory's chart suggests. Though it isn't up to date, there's Thud and Snuff in the series after Night Watch. Mind you, I think Night Watch is the Best Discworld Novel Ever. I think the Watch series just edges it over the Witches series.

Glad you liked Guards! Guards!, welcome to the various Pratchett quiches on MN.

mrsmortis Mon 21-Dec-15 14:20:07

I'd start with Mort. It's always been one of my favourites. I'd not read Colour of Magic first, its not the best and might put you off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now