Talk

Advanced search

What books could my sister get me for Christmas?

(11 Posts)
IAmAPaleontologist Sun 06-Dec-15 09:46:07

Years of small children followed by very, very full on degree and I've not really picked up anything new to read in years. I have no idea what to go for!

I like Austin. Gaskell etc.
I have always been partial to a bit of fantasy- Tolkein, Robin Hobb, Pullman, Stephen Donaldson. Escapism is good. I remember reading a lot of Sheri S. Tepper as a teenager. Love Gaiman but never really got on with pratchett.
I loved things like Bel Canto by Ann Patchett or Sally Vickers books. Things that hold you in their spell but just seem to float along, not too heavy going.
Enjoyed Senor Vivo etc.
Like Carlos Luis Zafon.

What might I like?

LordEmsworth Sun 06-Dec-15 10:09:32

Well, I like Austen, Gaskell, Pullman (and Pratchett) - I loved Bel Canto too (wasn't expecting to!).

I really liked Life After Life by Kate Atkinson, and am looking forward to getting the follow up A Life In Ruins.

Are you particularly looking for newer books? I am not very up on newer things but if you're not too worried about that then:
The earlier Jasper Fforde Thursday Next series, I loved.
And Life of Pi - I wasn't expecting to like it but for 20p on Kindle it was worth a punt, and I loved it.
Under The Skin - Michael Faber.
Ira Levin - Rosemary's Baby, Boys from Brazil, Stepford Wives
John Wyndham - Day of the Triffids, Chocky
Richard Matheson - I am Legend (arguably more horror than fantasy but depends where you draw the line...)

IAmAPaleontologist Sun 06-Dec-15 10:16:18

Oh yes I've read a few of the Jasper Fforde. Probably need to go back and re-read before I move on with the series as it has been a while!

I have read Case Histories by Kate Atkinson but I didn't get on with it. Life after Life sounds interesting though, may give it a whirl.

Sadik Sun 06-Dec-15 13:13:31

I love Austen, Gaskell, and escapist fantasy, but don't like Terry Pratchett.

If you like the early Thursday Next books, have you read Shades of Grey also by Jasper Fforde - it's a completely different world, I found it a very enjoyable light read.

Also, have you tried any of Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London books - I think you might like them if not.

MrsHathaway Sun 06-Dec-15 13:47:27

You like things I like.

I adored A Man Called Ove recently.

cdtaylornats Sun 06-Dec-15 22:20:43

Best book I've read this year is The First Fifteen Lives Of Harry August by Claire North

Harry August is on his deathbed. Again. No matter what he does or the decisions he makes, when death comes, Harry always returns to where he began, a child with all the knowledge of a life he has already lived a dozen times before. Nothing ever changes. Until now. As Harry nears the end of his eleventh life, a little girl appears at his bedside. 'I nearly missed you, Doctor August,' she says. 'I need to send a message.' This is the story of what Harry does next - and what he did before - and how he tries to save a past he cannot change and a future he cannot allow.

Sylviecat Mon 07-Dec-15 12:59:17

I really didn't get on with case histories either op, but I loved Life after life plus Kate Atkinsons earlier ones, like behind the scenes at the museum.

Hygge Mon 07-Dec-15 15:25:53

I'm reading Labyrinth by Kate Mosse at the moment, and finding it to be an easy but compelling read. I need to know what happens, but I don't have to spend a lot of time thinking about it.

You might like Among Others by Jo Walton. It has a touch of fantasy about it but also has a lot of references to the main character reading lots of sci-fi and fantasy books and her thoughts on them.

I will second the recommendation for Life After Life by Kate Atkinson, but Jo Walton has also written a similar sort of book called My Real Children, and is based around Patricia, who in one moment, with a yes or no answer, splits her life in two and lives on as Trisha, a wife and mother, and one as Pat, successful writer.

Have you read the Wool Trilogy by Hugh Howey? It starts in a place called The Silo, with a group of people living underground and unable to go outside into the toxic atmosphere. They have a whole community and it beings with Juliette investigating a death. It sounds strange but I thought it was very good.

And have you tried Anne Tyler's books? My favourites aren't her most recent, but I love The Clock Winder, Saint Maybe, Morgan's Passing, Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant, and Digging to America. Again, they are books you can read easily but want to know what happens.

redredread Mon 07-Dec-15 23:02:18

Sarah Moss is great - I loved Night Waking in particular (lots of resonance for parents of small children).

Yy to Life After Life

Also Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel - my fiction choice of the year

AdventureMathematical Wed 09-Dec-15 01:00:24

I have enjoyed, The empire of black in gold by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Agree about the Rivers of London. I liked Temeraire by Naomi Novik which is the Napoleonic wars with Dragons but I think the more recent books have lost themselves a bit if you're the kind of person who wants to finish a series.

mrsmortis Wed 09-Dec-15 14:49:28

If you like Austen then how about Pride, Prejudice and Vampires for a bit of escapism? (Did you know they were making a film of it?)

If you like Donaldson then I'd suggest the Wheel of Time books by Robert Jordan.

If you are a Gaiman fan I assume you've read Neverwhere? I love that book.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now