Talk

Advanced search

Homers Odyssey

(12 Posts)

Is it worth a read?

Bizarre reason for considering it but I love the film O Brother Where Art Thou which is meant to be very loosely based on it. So I figured it may be worth a read to see where and because,well, I may also enjoy it!

There is a gorgeous leatherbound edition on Amazon that would look lovely on my bookcase blush so am tempted to get one for Christmas.

But some reviews/opinions would be good first smile

Oh,it also comes with Illyad

nythbran2 Fri 04-Dec-15 17:36:31

The EV Rieu translation is very good.
Not to read on an empty stomach though. Lots of feasting, you'll get hungry.

hackmum Fri 04-Dec-15 19:03:56

Hmm. I've read the Iliad, which is a teeny weeny bit dull, if I'm honest. But the Odyssey is shorter, which is a plus (I haven't read it).

AnyoneButSanta Fri 04-Dec-15 19:06:17

Odyssey much better read than Iliad, but still not exactly rollicking page turner. Definitely worth reading but I'd prioritise the right translation over the fancy binding.

AlmaFreckle Fri 04-Dec-15 21:00:53

Yes it's worth reading, it's one of the best books ever written.
It's basically about Odysseus trying to get home and the gods behaving badly doing everything they can to prevent it.
You need to decide whether you want to read a prose version or a verse version. Verse is more close to the original but can be a bit harder to read if you are not used to it, prose (like it's a novel) is easier/ quicker and will give you a good overview of the story.
The first time I read it the whole way through I read a prose version, but I found it a bit boring. Since then I've been using the verse translation by Robert Fagles which I like much better. This version is also available as audiobook read by Ian McKellen.

Read the opening pages of a few versions and decide which one works best for you (and your bookcase wink).

That's a fair point about a good translation (and I can always get a different leatherbound book,sounds daft but always wanted one!!!)

I'm fine with verse generally, I love Paradise Lost by Milton. Don't laughgrin

I definitely 'need' a copy anyway smile

AlmaFreckle Fri 04-Dec-15 22:15:06

If you love Paradise Lost, you really should read the Odyssey in verse, you are in for a treat!

Asteria36 Fri 04-Dec-15 22:23:33

If you have any ishoos I had to re-write/summarise each verse of the Odyssey (plus the Aeneid and the Iliad) many years ago and I found the notes last week! I am terribly sad that my children are totally disinterested in them

CanadianJohn Sat 05-Dec-15 03:55:59

I have the Samuel Butler translation of both books. I enjoyed the Odyssey, couldn't get on with the Illiad.

I tried to read selective bits to my children, but they weren't interested.

ArmchairTraveller Sat 05-Dec-15 06:50:46

Love Homer, I prefer this translation to EV Rieu
www.amazon.co.uk/dp/006124418X/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2BLUVOMNJT50M&coliid=I4VPW8GC1GRZU

For hooking children, try this one.
www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0763642681/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2BLUVOMNJT50M&coliid=I1ZDAHRAOW1BP

ArmchairTraveller Sat 05-Dec-15 06:52:45

This one's fascinating too
www.amazon.co.uk/War-Music-account-Books-Homers/dp/0571209076/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1449298304&sr=1-2&keywords=war+music+logue

WestleyAndButtockUp Sat 05-Dec-15 07:05:04

When 'O Brother Where Art Thou' came out, I picked up a book of it in Waterstones.

The cover was 'O Brother Where Art Thou', but the text inside was Homer's Odyssey. Not even an introduction tying the two together or anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now