Talk

Advanced search

The Hungers games / Divergent series

(18 Posts)
gabsdot Wed 02-Dec-15 16:08:31

If you like the Hunger Games would you like the Divergent series?

howtorebuild Wed 02-Dec-15 16:10:15

I haven't read either, my dc have. I have watched the film's and liked both.

ChipsandGuac Wed 02-Dec-15 16:11:46

My kids liked both a lot.

madwomanbackintheattic Wed 02-Dec-15 16:17:56

Dd1 loved the Hunger Games trilogy but thinks the Divergent series is unrelenting garbage...

AlphaOmicronPi Wed 02-Dec-15 16:18:10

I loved the Hunger Games. Thought the Divergent series was a bit boring after a while - I lost interest half way through Insurgent. What about The Maze Runner instead?

voodoolooloo Wed 02-Dec-15 16:32:23

I preferred the Divergent series to Hunger games. The maze runner has good reviews but I didn't like it.
Unwind is another series with good reviews. I gave up half way though though as it seemed to be slow starting.

thorshammer Wed 02-Dec-15 16:38:08

I did but Divergent is no where near as good as HG. Still worth a read though.

Madblondedog Wed 02-Dec-15 16:39:53

Don't go in thinking divergent will be as good and you will enjoy it. I liked it but went in thinking "well it won't be anywhere near as good as hunger games"

foragogo Wed 02-Dec-15 16:43:56

HG def the best of the bunch. I though maze runner was pretty good too and divergent was allright but not as well written.

MotherofFlagons Wed 02-Dec-15 16:53:21

I liked HG but also found Divergent a struggle. It just felt really flat and I didn't care about any of the characters.

pieceofpurplesky Wed 02-Dec-15 17:00:44

I preferred divergent series to hunger games

gabsdot Thu 03-Dec-15 15:35:23

Thanks

purplestar1985 Thu 03-Dec-15 15:41:41

I loved Divergent and The Hunger Games. I loved the Maze Runner books but thought that the films were awful!

nooka Thu 03-Dec-15 15:49:06

Have read all of the HG, almost all of the Divergent (got fed up two thirds of the way through Allegiant) and the first two Maze Runners (lost interest).

I guess that sums up my opinions on them! The first book of Divergent is excellent, the second is still quite interesting and the third one is all over the place. dd managed all three and then got really annoyed with me for giving up on the third one as she wanted to rant about it. ds decided he really didn't like Tris at all part way through the second one - he had a point!

Maze Runner has a similar decline I think, the first one is really good, the second a bit so so, and none of us felt like buying the third one.

Bunbaker Thu 03-Dec-15 16:03:33

DD (15) loved both series equally.

PennyHasNoSurname Thu 03-Dec-15 16:05:12

Loved HG, read them all over a weekend.
Abandoned Divergent halfway through the second book.

flightywoman Sat 05-Dec-15 00:22:05

I'd recommend Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy by Laini Taylor, Shades of London series by Maureen Johnson and The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon.

Not Divergent/Hunger Games dystopian, but really good and hugely enjoyable.

Hygge Sat 05-Dec-15 09:30:32

I liked The Hunger Games but didn't like Divergent.

I think it was oddly thought out, the characters were harder to like or care about, and the plot not as believable or interesting. Divergent also came across as preachy to me.

Divergent is like a bad copy of The Hunger Games.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now