Talk

Advanced search

the girl on a train... for a 56 year old woman

(15 Posts)
Doublebubblebubble Mon 23-Nov-15 14:35:40

Hi all

My mum loves books and thrillers in particular. I was thinking about getting it for her for Xmas.
If you have read 'the girl on a train' would you recommend it? Is it a younger type of book?? X

lisbapalea Mon 23-Nov-15 14:37:25

Just finished it and recommended it to my 71yr old mum who likes thrillers. It's no masterpiece but it's a decent page turner in the same vein as Gone Girl.

wuckfit Mon 23-Nov-15 14:37:59

I enjoyed this book well worth a read

perpetuallybewildered Mon 23-Nov-15 14:39:25

I'm considerably older than your Mum and I enjoyed it.

ExasperatedAlmostAlways Mon 23-Nov-15 14:42:08

I'm 30 and enjoyed it but was disappointed with the ending, found it a bit anti climatic. I think there's better out there tbh.

Doublebubblebubble Mon 23-Nov-15 17:20:39

Any recommendations?? X I'm terrible. She likes Stephen king (I know, I know) but she has most if not all of them already x

OneMoreCasualty Mon 23-Nov-15 17:22:25

Yes, nothing "young" about the themes.

OneMoreCasualty Mon 23-Nov-15 17:22:44

Elizabeth Haynes, but they are quite gruesome.

ThePastIsObdurate Mon 23-Nov-15 20:27:39

I did like the book, I would say it's for any age group..:.but....personally if she likes Stephen King (as I do, I'm 25 and a massive fan, nothing wrong in that wink) I would probably recommend something else....

The Passage by Justin Cronin is very good. It's a trilogy with the 3rd book coming out the beginning of next year. It's kind of an apocalyptic vampire story - the stand meets Salems lot kind of thing.

Or maybe one of Gillian Flynns other books (I'm sure you've heard of or seen gone girl). Sharp Objects and dark place is fantastic. They're both thriller types but very dark.

There's also Wayward Pines, this is more of a sci fi thing, maybe along the lines of the tommyknockers and under the dome by King. It's also a trilogy set. These are written by Blake Crouch.

There's also something called Cry baby, this is one of the better thrillers I've read, stands out in my mind. It's by David Jackson

Also as a final thought - Mark Edwards. The magpies and because she loves me. Very good thriller stories.

Just my tuppence worth seeing as me and your mum both share a love of SK smile

ThePastIsObdurate Mon 23-Nov-15 20:28:46

Oh - that was longer than intended. Sorry! Just always nice to hear about another King fan! Haha smile

FlysInDreams Fri 27-Nov-15 18:21:38

I'm a Stephen King fan grin

Hepzibar Sun 29-Nov-15 20:46:11

I'm 52 and loved Girl on a Train. My mum is 76 and wasn't too keen.

confused

Lovemytent Sun 29-Nov-15 20:57:09

'Elizabeth is Missing' was an excellent read.
'I let you go' was wonderful
'The girl with all the gifts' - brilliant.

Three excellent books I was lucky enough to read one after the other.

errorofjudgement Sun 29-Nov-15 21:03:50

I thought the girl on the train was a bit slow, specially in the middle.

But I would recommend Into the Fire by Amanda Scott as a good thriller.

Doublebubblebubble Mon 30-Nov-15 14:31:54

Wow thank you all x definitely getting a few of these and tgott xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now