Talk

Advanced search

Just started reding Terry Pratchett. which ones next?

(28 Posts)
HookedOnHooking Mon 16-Nov-15 18:28:36

Why have I never done this before????

Just reading Mort. Which next?

CMOTDibbler Mon 16-Nov-15 18:32:12

You could read Reaper Man next which sort of follows Mort in being part of the Death story arc. You can see the reading order by arc here

Am very jealous that you have all of his books yet to be read

CarcerDun Mon 16-Nov-15 18:35:19

Me too!

I would advise against reading chronologically, go by storyline till you get into it. The first books aren't the best ones, but are worth reading later on.

Reading chronologically is for your fourth or fifth time reading them.

IndomitabIe Mon 16-Nov-15 18:40:37

Ooh, thanks, loved the first one but have ground to a halt with the 2nd. I'll try another...

pointythings Mon 16-Nov-15 22:20:08

I'd second doing Reaper Man after Mort and then starting on either the Witches arc or the Watch arc. Personally Sam Vimes is my absolute favourite Pratchett character so I would say do Guards! Guards!, Men at Arms, Feet of Clay, Jingo!, The Fifth Elephant, Night Watch, Thud and end with Snuff.

Then do the Witches: Wyrd Sisters, Witches Abroad, Lords and Ladies, Maskerade and Carpe Jugulum. You could argue that you should read Equal Rites before Wyrd Sisters, but you can also leave that one and instead read it before reading the Tiffany Aching series (which I also highly recommend).

I envy you like mad.

I don't like the Witches ones. I'd do Reaper Man next and then all of the Sam Vines ones.

pointythings Thu 19-Nov-15 21:52:55

Remus you heretic! grin

eastwest Thu 19-Nov-15 21:56:26

Yes, WHY have you never done this before? grin
I agree with pointythings but would also read Pyramids which is my persona favourite.
I am so jealous of you now - and you have the whole winter to curl up and read them, perfect timing!

LBOCS2 Thu 19-Nov-15 21:58:56

See, I'm not fussed about Reaper Man but I definitely think you should read the Vimes ones in order.

Or Soul Music, which does basically follow on from Mort, which should take you up to Christmas when you can read The Hogfather...

EsmesBees Thu 19-Nov-15 21:59:34

Read Small Gods. That's a stand alone and my favourite.

Pointy - yep. I worship at the altar of Captain Carrot. Granny Oggshername and her cronies do absolutely nothing for me.

pointythings Thu 19-Nov-15 22:12:32

See, I want to be Nanny Ogg when I grow up (which will be never). But I do also lust after Captain Carrot, you have taste.

Hands off Carrot - I saw him first.

MyCatIsABiggerBastardThanYours Thu 19-Nov-15 22:16:22

Read the night watch ones. So so good. Mind you they all are.

I'm just re reading Guards Guards. So interesting to see how characters started out considering how they ended up. A few of them Vimes, Granny Weatherwax for example, started out a lot weaker characters than they eventually became.

Such a clever man. Such a loss.

pointythings Fri 20-Nov-15 17:25:30

That's OK, Remus, I'm a happily married woman. And I'll settle for Sam Vimes. grin

Deal! grin

Thatrabbittrickedme Fri 20-Nov-15 18:51:39

envy I wish I was starting them all for the first time again wink

ToniMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 21-Nov-15 15:38:21

The next death stories are Reaper Man and Soul Music. But I always loved the witches. So Wyrd Sisters is the best place to start. Also Wee Free Men is hilarious.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Sat 21-Nov-15 15:43:25

ALL of them! grin But yes, maybe Reaper Man, or some of the Witches ones.

I do agree though that the first 3-4 books aren't the best, he didn't really get into his writing stride until Sourcery, I think. And I don't like Jingo - I think at that point he churning out too many too quickly and they suffered a little.

I do love them all though, and re-read them all regularly - mostly in order
though

CooCooCachoo Sat 21-Nov-15 21:41:54

The witches are the best ones (but they are all brilliant), some of the funnier references could be lost though without general disc world context e.g. The ridiculousness of the Wizards and the unseen university in contrast to the sheer common sense of Granny Wetherwax and Nanny Ogg.

Best read the Rincewood books first starting with the Colour of Magic.

The Vimes books are heartwarming though.

Also try Truckers, Diggers and Wings... These are more children's books but I still love them....I grew up with Pratchett and miss him.

Oh...and Johnny and the Dead, inspired.....

CooCooCachoo Sat 21-Nov-15 21:44:45

I hear ya' thatrabbit, enjoy OP!

angie95 Mon 23-Nov-15 18:13:57

The carpet people is excellent by Terry Pratchett .

kelper Mon 23-Nov-15 18:19:29

Tis is a helpful thread, I really really want to like terry pratchett but I've tried reading the first one and I just cannot get into it at all, which annoys me because I love his writing style, just the content won't flow in my brain nicely!
So I don't have to read them in sequence?

DianaTrent Mon 23-Nov-15 18:19:33

I'd do the first two next, but do bear with the first one, it seems a little clunky compared to the later ones on re-reading. I still love it, though. I just think they'd be hard to read later because of how much the characters, especially Death, develop afterwards. I absolutely love the witches series. I recently read Equal Rites to my daughter and have thoroughly passed on the Pratchett bug. grin

villainousbroodmare Mon 23-Nov-15 18:20:11

Oh, lucky, lucky you! grin

I just realised that in my head, Captain Carrot is Paul O'Connell.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now