Talk

Advanced search

Janet Evanovich - Stephanie Plum

(24 Posts)
LivinLaVidaLoki Mon 16-Nov-15 10:07:22

DH bought me a kindle last year and had it loaded with all the books that I have, as well as some "recommendations by Amazon".

I have loved reading through my favourite books and discovering some new stories that I really like, but one which has really surprised me, as its not really my kind of thing at all, is the Stephanie Plum series from Janet Evanovich.

It almost feels like a bit of a guilty pleasure. Has anyone else read these?

CMOTDibbler Mon 16-Nov-15 10:10:36

I've read a lot of the earlier ones, and though they are no great work of fiction, I did enjoy them. Haven't read one for ages though

LordEmsworth Mon 16-Nov-15 10:20:27

I love them. Have read them all, though I agree the latest ones aren't quite as compelling as the earlier ones. Happy brain candy floss!

LivinLaVidaLoki Mon 16-Nov-15 10:25:43

LordEmsworth
Happy brain candy floss

That's it! That's how I feel. I'm currently on book 6.

DuchessofMalfi Mon 16-Nov-15 11:18:19

I'm up to date with the series. The earlier ones are good but now they have become rather formulaic. Not disappointing but nothing has changed with the family and relationship dilemma and the oldest hamster in living history grin

LivinLaVidaLoki Mon 16-Nov-15 12:08:59

Rex is still alive!!!
((punches the air grin ))

ApplaudMyFandango Mon 16-Nov-15 22:50:04

They are my guilty pleasure after a hard read elsewhere. I've never understood why no-one has ever made them into a film or tv series.

LordEmsworth Mon 16-Nov-15 23:13:57

Applaud Do you mean you somehow missed 2012's One For The Money, with Razzie-nominated Katherine Heigl? I wouldn't waste time seeking it out, re-read the book again instead...

LivinLaVidaLoki Tue 17-Nov-15 06:31:33

LordEmsworth I thought they would more suited to a TV show as it is quite formulaic. The sort of thong Sky Atlantic would put on.

DuchessofMalfi Tue 17-Nov-15 06:44:09

I haven't bothered to watch the film either. Doesn't appeal. I have my own idea of what the characters are like and don't want to ruin it.

BIWI Tue 17-Nov-15 06:45:21

I love them! Don't care if they're formulaic - they're great fun and hugely entertaining on my daily commute.

If you like this series, you might also like the Housewife Assassin series, by Josie Brown, or the Addison Holmes series, by Liliana Hart

BigGreenOlives Tue 17-Nov-15 06:51:41

I love these books - she is so funny and sometimes the descriptions of Ranger make me melt. I don't think she could end up with him but she & Joe seem unable to commit too. I love the ridiculousness of the scenarios and the interactions with Lola.

Now I want doughnuts for breakfast.

MaximumVolume Tue 17-Nov-15 06:57:55

Love them! I've had all they have in my library & couple from the charity shop, but refuse to pay full price as they only take a few hours to read!

AlbusPercival Tue 17-Nov-15 07:01:01

They did make it into a film, it was terrible and the characters looked all wrong!

trailer here

weaselwords Tue 17-Nov-15 07:08:07

I love them for the happy brain candyfloss factor too. And Stephanie can look after herself in a fight too and doesn't take things too seriously. I want to be Stephanie Plum.

LivinLaVidaLoki Tue 17-Nov-15 09:23:28

Oh dear lord AlbusPercival, that is just all wrong.

I love the ridiculousness of Lula and Stephanie partnering up, but I also love that she keeps getting Bob to crap on Joyce's lawn. Joyce is so outrageous I cant wait to see if she actually gets taken down. I mean, what was the point in her becoming a bounty hunter, she seems to be going out of her way just to piss off Stephanie.

BUNMUM Tue 17-Nov-15 09:33:22

I also love these books. I wish I had a Ranger!! And a Joe.

BUNMUM Tue 17-Nov-15 09:33:47

Babe!!

MovemberSucks Tue 17-Nov-15 09:36:25

I saw the film in the cinema and Katherine Heigl couldn't have been more wrong for the part. I thought the guy playing Morelli was good, but Ranger was also totally shite. The screenplay was pretty damn bad too, so it would have been tricky even with the right casting.

ThursdayLastWeek Tue 17-Nov-15 09:39:21

I live these too - though I admit to giving it after 12 I think because they really did get samey.

They were perfect reading when DS was little.
They are my go to reference in my head when people talk about New Jersey and Lula very often makes me laugh out loud smile

iwantanewcar Tue 17-Nov-15 09:40:15

they are very funny. We all need a ranger in our lives smile But the later ones are a bit same-y - up to number 21? But I still carry on reading! The other books she writes are not as good.

If you like a sassy heroine and some humour try Death in series by JD Robb. Much darker but still some laugh out loud moments and we all need a Roarke in our lives.

ThursdayLastWeek Tue 17-Nov-15 09:41:33

It's so funny I was just thinking of these books about 10 mins before coming online! I was listening to a podcast about a NJ Granny Matriarch and I couldn't get Granma Mazur (sp?) at all the funeral parlours out if my head

MovemberSucks Tue 17-Nov-15 09:44:19

Sparkle Hayter is also worth reading if you like Janet Evanovich, her lead character is Robin Hudson.

iwantanewcar Tue 17-Nov-15 12:41:03

I'd forgotten about sparkle hayter!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now