Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Just finished Sharon penmans "lionheart";, what next?

(11 Posts)
Silvertap Thu 12-Nov-15 06:26:07

After a good few months reading all of her books I've finally come to the end and I feel bereft. I loved them, it was like walking through a door to spend time with friends in another century.

I love a good historical novel - where can I go next?!

confusedandemployed Thu 12-Nov-15 06:29:40

Have you read any Bernard Cornwell (not Sharpe?)

The Arthur trio is amazing. The Winter King, Excalibur and Enemy of God.

Also the Viking series which starts with The Last Kingdom, what's being televised now.

Also of course Philippa Gregory - her early books in particular are better than Penman IMO

Silvertap Thu 12-Nov-15 06:31:57

I have read all the Phillipa Gregory ones.
I haven't read Bernard Cornwall - I'm loving the last kingdom on tv - I didn't realise it was a book! Thank you

confusedandemployed Thu 12-Nov-15 06:36:19

The books are so much better (as always) - and I'm loving the series!

The Arthur books are less well known but absolutely fantastic.

Devilishpyjamas Thu 12-Nov-15 06:45:15

Yes Bernard Cornwell. The Uhtred series is a really easy, non-taxing enjoyable read.

Agree that the Arthur series is better written (they're Bernard Cornwell's favourite as well - I think he took more time over them).

I've just read Rosemary Sutcliffe's sword at sunset which is a sort of historical version of Arthur. It's an adult book but nestles in her eagle of the ninth children's series (which are also very readable & not childlike).

Devilishpyjamas Thu 12-Nov-15 06:46:45

Oh and mists of Avalon -which is a sort of feminist historical version of Arthur.

Devilishpyjamas Thu 12-Nov-15 06:50:19

And this series is good as well!

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Stewart%27s_Merlin_Trilogy

A different approach to the story.

(I like the dark ages!)

LumpySpacedPrincess Thu 12-Nov-15 07:22:58

Dorothy Dunnett, Lymond chronicles followed by The House of Niccolo. smile

Kettricken Thu 12-Nov-15 22:14:31

Elizabeth Chadwick has written some good books. CJ Sansom is good too for a Tudor who-done-it.

MoonHare Fri 13-Nov-15 18:12:39

Ken follet the pillars of the earth and world without end. Or Alison weir. I enjoy Sharon penman too.

iisme Sun 15-Nov-15 09:25:11

I second Dorothy Dunnet - in a different league to most historical fiction in terms of complexity of story telling and depth of character.

I hated Ken Follet - it felt like he had just plonked some 21st century characters in the Middle ages.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now