Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else disappointed with David Mitchells new book? (SPOILERS)

(9 Posts)

I'm sooo let down! It arrived yesterday, only 242 pages. Read it last night. Started off good, then started getting boring and then it finishes with Marinus from The Bone Clocks coming in and putting an end to what was happening.

No surprises. The chapter introduces Marinus by name pretty much straight away so you just know what is going to happen and that 'She' (as Dr Iris still) is acting and will fix it all sad

I instantly lost heart on the last section. The one before had it waning.

It's almost like he had the idea and just churned it out without much thought, not wanting to go anywhere really with it, couldn't think what to do and it's just a total let down.

I shall now go throw a hissy fit grin

Should add, that with the 'ghost' of each 'guest' becoming stronger and more able to warn, with each cycle, then I was expecting that to continue and put the end to the twins. But no, let's just randomly bring Marinus in and ruin the book hmm

DuchessofMalfi Fri 30-Oct-15 20:16:50

I'm waiting for my copy from the library. Really enjoyed The Bone Clocks, so had been hoping this would be good too. Feeling a bit doubtful now.

It has good reviews on Amazon but I found a few who also didn't find it that good. Some suggest reading it before The Bone Clocks, which I'd recommend too tbh because otherwise the appearance of Marinus just kills it sad Although it wasn't a great ending either.

You know sometimes how you're reading a book and it's all good then suddenly it seems as if the writer completely lost their train of thought or just gave up? It was like that for me.

However, many people seem to think it's brilliant..

Theknacktoflying Fri 06-Nov-15 21:50:49

Have not read the Bone Clocks but loved Slade House - loved how each 'story' had some interlocking, repeating features.

hackmum Sat 07-Nov-15 12:13:54

I really enjoyed Slade House - raced through it. Brilliant fun.

DuchessofMalfi Sat 07-Nov-15 14:50:38

Just checked on the library's website. I'm now fourth out of fourteen. Nearly there grin

Boysclothes Sat 07-Nov-15 14:52:50

Really enjoyed it. Spooky. It was more of a companion novella really though.... Short, and without having read the bone clocks you wouldn't have a clue what was going on.

MildVirago Sat 07-Nov-15 15:07:48

I think you may have been expecting too much, OP. I haven't read it yet, but he's been open about seeing this as a minor, fun 'time off from his proper books' project. Look how soon after The Bone Clocks it was published, apart from anything else!

I'm expecting something along the sillier elements of sci-fi/fantasy/immortal body-hopping/baby-eating priests of his other books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now