Talk

Advanced search

Help me choose a book for my book group

(10 Posts)
RhinestoneCowgirl Tue 20-Oct-15 20:09:01

Our book group has been running for over 10 yrs, we've read a lot of books.

It's my book choice for December and I have a vague feeling I should choose something festive, or at least wintery. (We read The Snow Child a couple of years ago around Christmas and that definitely fitted the bill)

Any suggestions? thanks smile

OP’s posts: |
Sadik Thu 22-Oct-15 10:35:59

Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow? Or will everyone have read it?

RapidlyOscillating Thu 22-Oct-15 10:45:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

angemorange Thu 22-Oct-15 10:46:38

The Winter Ghosts or The Taxidermist's Daughter by Kate Mosse are good for this time of year.. wintry and spine tingling.

crapfatbanana Thu 22-Oct-15 18:26:34

Our last book group read was Sweetland by Michael Crummey. It doesn't fit your criteria of being wintery or Christmassy, but it is set on a remote Newfoundland outport (called Sweetland) and is about how one man (Moses Sweetland) holds out when the rest of the islanders accept a government grant to relocate to the mainland. It's a stunning book. We unanimously loved it.

Hygge Fri 23-Oct-15 11:56:42

The House of Silence by Linda Gillard is set at Christmas.

It's about a woman called Gwen who goes home with her new boyfriend Alfie, and meets his strange family in their spooky big house.

Tove Jansson's A Winter Book might be good as well, it's a collection of short stories.

RhinestoneCowgirl Fri 23-Oct-15 12:01:32

Forgot I'd started this thread, thanks for the suggestions everyone! grin

We read Burial Rites this yr, very gripping book and generated lots of discussion.

Sweetland sounds interesting, I will definitely look that one up.

Clawdy Fri 23-Oct-15 18:36:38

Hercule Poirot's Christmas was a good light read, and at our book group provoked a fair bit of discussion.

overthemill Wed 28-Oct-15 22:57:33

Good suggestions

RhinestoneCowgirl Fri 30-Oct-15 23:32:34

I'm sure you're not waiting with bated breath, but we've decided to go with Poirot. Mainly because we've got a shorter than normal gap between Nov and Dec meetings and fancy a light read.

Just back from book group tonight btw (The Scandalous Lady W)

Thanks all smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in