book recommendations please

(9 Posts)
peppansalt Sun 04-Oct-15 22:01:13

Looking for a novel but not sure how to describe what it is I'm after. Something along lines of a thriller set in harsh weather weather conditions (rain, sea, or snow etc)' and survival or existing in it. Quite enjoyed The a Tenderness of Wolves, with vivid descriptions of freezing weather and how people the community loved.
Maybe something set in an isolated, rugged location - thinking lighthouses, huge storms and shelter against the elements. All thrown into a good plot.

Sorry if that sounds really confused confused

dontpokethebear Sun 04-Oct-15 22:07:00

I read a trilogy of books by Hugh Howey called Wool, Shift and Dust. May not be quite what you're looking for, more post apocalyptic, but is all about survival and harsh conditions. I could read them again! Hth!

evelynj Sun 04-Oct-15 22:12:07

What about dark matter? Sort of a ghost story, quick to read & enjoyable

DuchessofMalfi Sun 04-Oct-15 22:14:00

You might like The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan. It centres around the over full lifeboat following the sinking of a liner (similar to The Titanic).

hackmum Mon 05-Oct-15 16:42:04

Have you ever read The Shipping News? It's not a thriller but has some great harsh weather. smile

dinkystinky Mon 05-Oct-15 16:45:47

Ms Smillas feeling for snow, if you haven't already read it, may tick those boxes.

tripfiction Tue 06-Oct-15 08:55:44

You could try Snowblind by Ragnar Jónasson www.tripfiction.com/thriller-set-in-siglufjorour-iceland/ set in Iceland. The author "..describes beautifully the bleakness, cold, and snow of Siglufjörður" . We have been having a Twitter chat with the author who has been sharing his photos of the area (one attached hopefully below)

You might like this. Must admit that I thought it was pretty awful, but I did like the references to The Smiths and I really enjoyed his, 'Let the Right One In.'

The other immediate thought I had was, 'Frankenstein.'

Also, it's not fiction but, 'The Worst Journey in the World' is absolutely brilliant - the story of an expedition to find penguin eggs in the Antarctic, during Scott's South Pole expedition.

ladydepp Tue 06-Oct-15 22:28:29

Do you want a spy thriller? Kolymsky Heights or Archangel might suit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now