Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is Jonathan Frantzen's new book as good as The Corrections?

(12 Posts)
BoldFox Fri 02-Oct-15 18:03:07

anybody read both care to give me their thoughts?! I loved the family dysfunction in the corrections similar to my own lot

gingercat12 Sat 03-Oct-15 17:30:30

Just reading the Corrections to be able to find out.

timeforabrewnow Sat 03-Oct-15 17:37:48

I loved the Corrections - cracking book- so watching this thread with interest...

Radiatorvalves Sat 03-Oct-15 17:52:05

I loved the Corrections, but found Freedom rather tedious.

AgentProvocateur Sat 03-Oct-15 18:18:47

I loved The Corrections, but Freedom less so. I've not read the new one. I'm keeping it for my between-Christmas-and-New-Year treat.

BoldFox Sat 03-Oct-15 19:19:34

Thanks Agent!

BoldFox Sat 03-Oct-15 19:20:30

and Radiatorvales and timeforeabrewnow, sorry, on my phone! didn't see all the replies.

The corrections was indeed a cracking book!

hackmum Sat 03-Oct-15 21:33:40

I've read both. Here's the sad thing, though: I can't remember anything at all about The Corrections. I can't even remember what it's about. Literally nothing at all. I do remember that I enjoyed it.

Purity is good but very implausible in places. I thought it was very good in parts but the whole thing didn't hang together.

knittingwithnettles Sat 03-Oct-15 21:47:43

I'm dreading reading Purity in case it somehow makes Freedom less good (maybe he will repeat himself or that sort of thing blush)

I adored Freedom, thought it very moving. And quite shocked to find he wasn't happily married with two teenage children, and that it was in fact "fiction" blush

The Corrections was terribly sad, I liked it less. I think there was a gay chef sister in it and all sorts of complicated marriages/children. But bitterly funny.

His memoir is hilarious too. Starts with selling his mother's house when she is dead. Sort of book that some would say was not funny at all. He is a bit egotistical.

No idea,but starting Purity tonight if ds allows!

BeeBawBabbity Mon 05-Oct-15 20:09:35

Not as good as either Corrections or Freedom in my opinion. Not as funny.

Still a cracking read though. He's a terrific writer.

SkaterGrrrrl Mon 02-Nov-15 21:27:57

lurks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now