Talk

Advanced search

Has anybody read American Psycho?

(45 Posts)
hiddenhome2 Tue 29-Sep-15 23:07:34

Any good?

Any thoughts?

bigmouthstrikesagain Tue 29-Sep-15 23:16:03

Are you in my book club? I am reading it at the moment so will get back to you. So far it is challenging disturbing and oddly boring at times (details of clothes, music, lists of inanity to illustrate the shallow character of Patrick Bateman).

nancy75 Tue 29-Sep-15 23:35:04

It's really, really boring with a few really sick bits and then even more boring bits

MabelSideswipe Tue 29-Sep-15 23:36:43

Years ago. It managed to be both boring and repulsive at the same time.

hiddenhome2 Tue 29-Sep-15 23:37:58

Oh, I was worried it would be like that. I've downloaded the movie and I was thinking that the book might be good to read.

My poor concentration won't take boredom though sad

MrStateTrooper Tue 29-Sep-15 23:45:39

One of only two books where I've had to skip a couple of pages as it was just too gruesome - and I generally have a good stomach for these sorts of things. There is a scene with a rat and a pipe that I will never forget, I couldn't finish that bit.

hiddenhome2 Tue 29-Sep-15 23:52:41

Is it worth reading? I don't mine gruesome, it's the boredom I'm more concerned about. I don't like books that don't hold the attention.

MrStateTrooper Tue 29-Sep-15 23:57:19

I would give it a shot, it's an interesting take on life in the 80s. It's been a while since I read it, but I do remember enjoying it, despite the really gory bits. I didn't mind the 'boring' bits, as I thought they were necessary for getting inside the head of the main character - who is a psychopath after all!

hiddenhome2 Wed 30-Sep-15 10:00:13

Is it what you would call 'well written'?

efeslight Wed 30-Sep-15 12:05:58

My friend gave it to me years ago as she couldnt finish the book, it was too gruesome, and then she wanted it out of the house!
It is a long time since i read it, but i did finish it-i dont remember it being too horrid for me, but i've got quite a high threshold for this sort of thing. I also dont remember the rat,pipe incident mentioned above. My advice is give it a go.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Wed 30-Sep-15 16:52:19

I don't think it deserved its fame. You can skim the boring bits easily enough without losing the thread.

JimmyGreavesMoustache Wed 30-Sep-15 16:57:52

i got it from the library when I was about 13 and newly possessed of an adult library card. "how bad can it be?" I thought.

it's probably not that shocking to a woman of the world, but I was utterly shock at the time.

Lottapianos Wed 30-Sep-15 16:59:54

I really enjoyed the book (although some bits are truly grisly) and adored the film. It has a lot to say about capitalism, materialism and misogyny.

FanOfSpam Wed 30-Sep-15 17:02:21

Narcissistic - and that's just the author - and gratuitously, outrageously sickening and misogynistic. The most brutalising novel I've ever read.

GozerTheGozerian Wed 30-Sep-15 17:07:29

It's one of the only novels I've ever read which has caused me to question the mind of the author. I just couldn't get my head round the fact that this had come from someone's imagination because I could never have conceived of such things. I'm not easily shockable but I really disturbed me. Mind you I was a lot younger so perhaps if I read it again i would be more blasé!

GozerTheGozerian Wed 30-Sep-15 17:08:04

Ha! IT really disturbed me. I didn't disturb myself (much)

AlwaysOutnumberdNeverOutgunned Wed 30-Sep-15 17:14:22

It is grim but was very zeitgeisty when it came out (but really just bleurgh).

Luciferbox Wed 30-Sep-15 17:17:08

Yep, many yrs ago. I agree with PP, boring at times and gruesome.

Trooperslane Wed 30-Sep-15 17:18:54

pretty rough and not worth the hype for me.

A poor man's William S Burroughs (though he's ROUGH as fuck and gratuitous too).

WavingNotDrowning Wed 30-Sep-15 17:25:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

roughtyping Wed 30-Sep-15 17:27:14

I liked it, found it quite bizarre. Had to skip a few bits as PP have said - well one bit in particular.

Scarydinosaurs Wed 30-Sep-15 17:40:12

It WAS very zeitgeisty! It's follow up was even more try hard.

It is the sickest thing I have read, and I studied post modern drama with weird dead baby stuff, and have read a lot of Irvine Welsh. I think the sexual gratification elements really made it worse for me.

The bit with the nail gun upset me the most- but perhaps it was just my teenage naivety not knowing people liked stuff like that.

AlwaysOutnumberdNeverOutgunned Wed 30-Sep-15 17:56:47

Ah but you can bump into any one of Irvine Welsh's characters on a stroll down Leith Walk today - the likeness doesn't even really date; much harder to identify with the yuppies or the sicko in American Psycho then or now.

MrStateTrooper Wed 30-Sep-15 17:58:36

Scarydinosaurs, you mentioned you have read a lot of Irvine Welsh - Marabou Stork Nightmares was the other book I have had to skip pages! Very grim, but very well written.

I don't remember the bit with the nail gun. Am I right in thinking the majority of the prolonged violence in American Psycho is carried out against women? I don't remember any male victims, but it's been a long time since I read it, and perhaps those scenes just haven't stuck with me as much. I will say I thought the ending was a let down...

BumgrapesofWrath Wed 30-Sep-15 23:05:06

It is the most disgusting book I have ever read. I don't agree with burning of books, but I'd make an exception for this one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now