Talk

Advanced search

Anyone read Ken Follett's The Edge of Eternity?

(7 Posts)
Rockytoptennessee Wed 09-Sep-15 18:24:13

hi

I bought this book to take on holiday next week. I have read (and loved) the first two books in the Century trilogy, but as I've since read about 50 other books, I cannot remember much about the plots and characters.

I don't have time to re-read the first two before I go away! My question is, will I be OK just picking up the Edge of Eternity and reading it, or would it be better to at least read the last few chapters of the second book to refresh my memory?

Thanks.

OP’s posts: |
Verbena37 Wed 09-Sep-15 18:42:37

Love KF but haven't read that Trilogy. Could you not just read the synopses of the first two on Amazon to refresh?

Rockytoptennessee Wed 09-Sep-15 19:56:51

Ah that's an idea. There are many characters!

It's a great trilogy by the way, worth a read. And the books are so thick!

OP’s posts: |
Verbena37 Wed 09-Sep-15 20:03:56

So far, I've only read Pillars and World without end.
However, last winter, I went to see him do a talk evening at Peterborough cathedral....really interesting night.

Verbena37 Wed 09-Sep-15 20:04:33

I'm reading fall of giants.....but have got about five pages in and keep stopping. I need a holiday to really get going!

SecretSquirrels Fri 11-Sep-15 17:21:20

I have read loads of his books including the first two of this trilogy. Useful read for a young history student albeit a bit padded. I haven't bought Edge though, mainly because it got such appalling reviews.
Let us know how you find it in comparison to the first two?

Galaxymum Sat 12-Sep-15 10:26:47

I must admit, after devouring the first two books of this trilogy as each was released, I was very disappointed with the final book. I thought there was far too much focus on the culture of pop music and those characters were not engaging.

The sections on the Kennedys and Martin Luther King were most interesting as well as the issues relating to the Cold War particularly the Cuba crisis - linking to the USSR and East Germany and Cuba.

But afterwards, I found I was skimming then skipping whole sections as I really didn't care about a music contract!

I didn't reread the previous books but it is worth reminding yourself how families are related.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in