We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone read Dark Eden?

(9 Posts)
jimjamspam Fri 21-Aug-15 12:38:57

sociological / theological Sci fi. Halfway through and absolutely loving it. Anyone else?

Calfon Sat 22-Aug-15 07:43:49

I read a great review when it first came out and have it on my kindle since but not got around to it yet.

CoteDAzur Sat 22-Aug-15 07:50:22

Yes! I liked it. There's a sequel I'm looking forward to read but not at £15.58 shock

Why did you call it "theological"?

Sadik Sat 22-Aug-15 12:33:46

No, but it's on my list to read. Thanks for the reminder!

jimjamspam Sat 22-Aug-15 14:52:32

I think the lost tribe is quite Old Testament, human nature, Cain & Abel etc. but maybe that's just me!

CoteDAzur Sat 22-Aug-15 21:57:19

IIRC they weren't a lost tribe so much as a tribe formed from the descendants of several lost people.

I didn't get a Biblical feel from this book, at all. I'd be interested to know if you still have that feeling when you finish it.

MinesAPintOfTea Sat 22-Aug-15 22:00:16

The languageblinks to the old testement, yes, but I also didn't feel it was biblical as much as a comment on our cultural frame of reference.

I will get the sequel eventually.

ShadowLine Wed 26-Aug-15 09:22:10

I loved this.

I suppose the ways they remembered and talked about their ancestors could be interpreted as religious, but this didn't feel at all Old Testament to me.

And yes Cote as I remember it, the whole tribe was descended from a single pair of castaways.

I'll be putting the sequel on my to-read list once it's at a more affordable price.

Sadik Sun 30-Aug-15 15:48:16

I really enjoyed it, as did dd. I'd actually agree with jimjams, I felt it did have a biblical feel with echoes of both the Fall and Moses leading the Jews through the wilderness. Did anyone else wonder if John was named as a nod to the Savage in Brave New World?

DD & I went halves on a 2nd hand US paperback copy from Abebooks as a more affordable option - just need to wait for it to arrive now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now