Talk

Advanced search

Black Rabbit Hall by Eve Chase (my book of the year so far)

(9 Posts)
FreddoBaggyMac Sat 08-Aug-15 19:44:38

The first book I've read in ages that I just feel I HAVE to recommend to people!

It's all about a family of lovely, gothic types with tragic pasts and set in a crumbling manor house in Cornwall. If this sounds your cup of tea then give it a go. I found it very much in the style of 'The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets' and 'I Capture the Castle'. It's also a bit Kate Mortonish as it goes backwards and forwards in time and then all ties together at the end beautifully. I couldn't stop reading and didn't want it to end! And, no I am not a friend of the author... just want to recommend it as a genuinely fabulous read for the summer. I was actually really surprised that mumsnet is not full of recommendations for it already!

CheckpointCharlie Sat 08-Aug-15 23:28:09

Sounds good, not up my dystopian street at all but I have added it to my wish list!

simpson Sat 08-Aug-15 23:35:56

Oh I loved this book too!! It was right up my street grin

I was gutted when I finished it sad

I am just about to start In a Dark Dark Wood by Ruth Ware.

chicaguapa Sun 09-Aug-15 07:49:43

Thanks. I've just bought it. smile

FreddoBaggyMac Sun 09-Aug-15 08:46:42

I'm so glad to find someone else who enjoyed it Simpson smile. Dark Dark Wood looks very interesting, I have added it to my wishlist. I've just started Disclaimer by Renee Knight which is very intriguing and almost as unputdownable as Black Rabbit Hall. However it doesn't have such wonderful characters that you really care about... I still miss them, particularly Amber and Toby (I still feel all emotional when I think of Toby!) Will definitely have to read it again...

You will not regret it Chicaguapa!!
CheckpointCharlie, it does have a dark side to it (honest!)

CoogerAndDark Sun 09-Aug-15 08:59:13

Just downloaded to my Kindle for my holiday. Will let you know what I think smile

chicaguapa Mon 10-Aug-15 15:45:23

I've just finished reading it and really enjoyed it. I also didn't want it to end. smile

hesterton Tue 11-Aug-15 07:18:27

Just read Black Rabbit Hall on your recommendation - I did enjoy it, thank you.

Without writing spoilers as such, I have to say I found the end a bit rushed though and felt that the feelings of BOTH the main characters weren't explored as much as they could have been at that point. But otherwise gripping.

FreddoBaggyMac Tue 11-Aug-15 08:31:12

Glad you enjoyed it Hesterton smile Yes, I know what you mean about the ending, another couple of chapters could have been added in there - I would have liked to have known more about how the characters were feeling at that point (and I would certainly have liked anything that made the book longer - didn't want it to end!) It did leave a bit of an air of mystery though, which I think has perhaps made it live on in my imagination a bit...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now