Talk

Advanced search

A Tree Grows In Brooklyn

(12 Posts)
Clawdy Sun 02-Aug-15 18:52:20

My turn to choose a book for Book group. Thinking about A Tree Grows In Brooklyn, which I last read aged 15, many years ago, and absolutely loved. Will it be as good, years later, or seem a bit schmaltzy? Anyone read it recently?

HopeClearwater Sun 02-Aug-15 18:55:22

I love this book. I've read it twice though not in recent years. Mean to re-read it soon and would love to read anyone else's views on it.

HarrietVane99 Sun 02-Aug-15 19:00:58

It's a long time since I read it, but I don't remember it being especially schmaltzy. Certainly not Little Women levels of schmaltz. I don't think it's that well known these days, so why not introduce it to a new set of readers who might love it as much as you did. (Must go and see if it's available cheaply online. I feel like re-reading now.)

simpson Sun 02-Aug-15 23:28:21

I loved this book (again at about 15) and also now feel like re-reading it smile

tripfiction Mon 03-Aug-15 10:06:01

@harrietvane99 - great idea to introduce this book to new readers. Still has relevance today...

minipie Mon 03-Aug-15 10:14:17

It's still good. Not schmaltzy. I found I got different things out of it reading as an adult/mother rather than as a teenager.

minipie Mon 03-Aug-15 10:15:27

By contrast I re read Little Women and What Katy Did recently and found them rather sickeningly sanctimonious. (Still enjoyable but you have to look past all the homilies).

Clawdy Mon 03-Aug-15 12:14:33

Think I'll go for it - it's not on kindle though, which is pretty unusual these days.

MonkeyPJs Mon 10-Aug-15 03:07:20

If it's for a bookclub, one thing that would be interesting to discuss is how different it would be to a book written today set in that time, and why. As a history nerd I always find that fascinating.

IHeartKingThistle Mon 10-Aug-15 07:01:04

I hate that book. Sorry.

MaryBerrysEyelashes Mon 10-Aug-15 07:02:04

I hated

MaryBerrysEyelashes Mon 10-Aug-15 07:02:31

Plus not on kindle is a deal breaker

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now