Which Agatha Raisin should I start with?

(18 Posts)
greencottage Mon 27-Jul-15 21:04:35

Just that. I keep seeing them mentioned on here, so thought I'd give them a go but I don't know which comes first in the series or if I need to read them in order. Thanks!

Becca19962014 Mon 27-Jul-15 22:04:38

You need to read them in order.

The reading order is given on the Agatha raisin wiki page here

I quite enjoy them. I'd definitely start with the first (Agatha Raisin and the quiche of death) and go through as there are some links thoughout the series.

There I also the radio 4 full cast plays though they don't follow the stories and can be confusing I treat them as separate to the books.

There are unabridged audio books of some of the books read by Penelope Keith which I enjoy (she plays Agatha in the radio 4 productions) which are really good.

I HATED the TV adaptation. Really HATED it.

I haven't enjoyed the later ones so much and some of the stories seem to be repeating older ones, also there are a couple of continuity errors - I'm pedantic though grin so don't let my comments put you off!!

FlouncyMcFlouncer Mon 27-Jul-15 22:56:20

ahem. I have a lot of the series and was about to list them on eBay tomorrow.

greencottage Tue 28-Jul-15 14:20:30

Thanks. Tempting offer Flouncy but I'm looking for something for my kindle while travelling so was going to download them.

5Foot5 Tue 28-Jul-15 21:51:23

Definitely start with The Quiche of Death. I think after the first few when you get used to the general cast and set up it is not strictly necessary to take them in order - but do start that way.

Becca I didn't mind the TV adaptation actually, though DH and DD who have never read the books were a bit "WTF" at it.

DiscoDancer Tue 28-Jul-15 21:54:19

Do you have to read them in order? Looking for something to get stuck into and have just started using my library again but no way will I get them in order from there! Saw the TV programme, can imagine the books are much much better....

Wolfcub Tue 28-Jul-15 21:54:28

Quiche of death definitely. Once you've read three or four the order doesn't really matter any more

TheoriginalLEM Tue 28-Jul-15 21:54:40

I like these too

emwithme Tue 28-Jul-15 22:18:17

Oooh Flouncy how much were you after for them? After some new books (moving soon, will have room for more book shelves so I'm allowed to buy more books) and really enjoyed the bits of the Agatha Raisin I fell asleep listened to on R4Extra

Becca19962014 Tue 28-Jul-15 22:53:00

I read them out of order and there were some things I was a bit WTF at which then made sense when I read them in order - admittedly nothing that would have impacted on the main story of each book.

I think I didn't like the tv adaptation because of the changes that were made, both to the storyline and characters. They're making more, I think the sky website said 8. I bought the DVD (don't have sky) and didn't like it at all when I finally got it.

badRoly Tue 28-Jul-15 22:55:58

Quiche of Death and read them in order.

Valski Wed 29-Jul-15 18:48:31

The very first one is a cracker.. The Quiche of Death, this introduces our heroine on her move to the Cotswold and her settling into village life. Sme real highlights amongst rest of series but always a comforting, tried and tested read. Returning to Agatha is like coming back to an old friend. wonderfully reassuring and a nice light read in a market overfilled with trite OTT crime novels!

cdtaylornats Sat 01-Aug-15 19:59:31

She also wrote the Hamish Macbeth series

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 01-Aug-15 22:37:22

None, just don't bother.

FlouncyMcFlouncer Sat 01-Aug-15 22:56:45

emwith have pm'd you smile smile

cariadlet Mon 10-Aug-15 08:42:05

I like light crime sometimes, but found Agatha Raisin dire. There's always plenty in the charity shops - I'd try to pick up a cheap copy rather than buying one new, just in case you don't like them.

I'm with Jilted don't do it to yourself. Dull,boring and obvious dross with the worlds most irritating characters (that are like ancient busybodies with nothing to do)

I honestly don't get what anyone gets out of them!

Lasttoknow Thu 13-Aug-15 17:08:06

I'm with jilted. They are so appalling that I couldn't even give them away.
The many many 2nd hand shops in Cotswolds are full of them.
In fact, I can keep an eye out, buy them and send on. Not that I wish to spread this crap.
I know the Author. Better than I care too. She is appalling.
She attend meetings of Alcoholics Anonymous in order to pick up characters. She admits this!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now