Talk

Advanced search

Winston Graham's Poldark novels for 99p in Kindle daily deals

(6 Posts)
Bamaluz Sun 26-Jul-15 18:34:41

I just bought the first four books, but not sure whether to buy any more. I think I read on here that the later ones weren't as good, can anyone advise please.

Bamaluz Sun 26-Jul-15 19:16:48

They're £1.19 sorry!

NadiaWadia Tue 28-Jul-15 15:32:21

Sorry I only saw your message today. Just came on to say I hope you did get them all because I read them all years ago and the later three they were offering in this deal were always my favourites (The Black Moon, The Four Swans, and The Angry Tide). Although the first four were good too.

I think what happened was that Winston Graham wrote the first four back in the 1950s, then in the 70s he decided to carry on the saga, with 'The Black Moon' following straight on from the events in 'Warleggan'. 'The Angry Tide' finishes in 1799, I believe. Then after that there is a long gap in the time line of the books, with the next book (The Stranger From the Sea) resuming the story in 1810, when Ross and Demelza's elder children are grown up. Then there are several more books carrying on from then. I wonder if it was these books, after the time jump, that someone referred to as not as good. They are still enjoyable, but I don't really like them as much myself, probably because the main focus is on the younger characters, and not on Ross, Demelza etc.

Bamaluz Tue 28-Jul-15 18:07:11

I stuck at four! Kicking myself now.

But thanks for the info, now I know which ones are best I will get them later.

NadiaWadia Tue 28-Jul-15 18:32:14

Oh well not to worry. Maybe by the time you finish the fourth one, you might find some kind of offer on the others again.

Hope you enjoy them!

beguilingeyes Tue 15-Dec-15 16:30:20

What Naidia said. It's a great series, especially 1-7. Probably my favourite book series ever. Much better than either of the tv series.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now