Talk

Advanced search

Please recommend me some holiday reading!

(13 Posts)
anyquestions Sat 25-Jul-15 21:18:38

Anyone care to recommend me some books to take on holiday? I prefer realistic storylines rather than fantasy and prefer stuff set in the second half of the 20th century or later. (Don't ask me why! For some reason that's just what I prefer.) I get irritated by books where the characters clearly divide into "good guys" and "bad guys". I prefer books where the characters are more complex than that. Examples of books I have enjoyed are The Universe versus Alex Woods by Gavin Extence and Black Swan Green by David Mitchell.

TIA

CheeseEater Sat 25-Jul-15 21:37:07

I've just finished Gone Girl which I enjoyed. If you're going to Greece or Cyprus The Sunrise by Victoria Hislop would work, and on my last hols I read The Lives of Harry August which was unusual but a great holiday read. Probably doesn't entirely fit your 'realistic' brief though. Have a good one!

2gorgeousboys Sat 25-Jul-15 22:07:39

I've just finished Still Alice and was blown away by it. I wasn't sure about I but bought it in the Kindle Summer sale and I've read it in 2 days.

highlandcoo Sun 26-Jul-15 00:12:56

The Northern Clemency by Philip Hensher - literary family sage based in Sheffield at the time of the miners' strike. Excellent.

Bel Canto by Ann Patchett. Explores the developing relationships between terrorists and hostages during a siege in an embassy in South America.. subtly interesting exploration of a dramatic situation written in an understated style.

What a Carve Up by Jonathan Coe - anyone interested in politics during the 80s must read this entertaining and thought-provoking novel.

IsabellaofFrance Sun 26-Jul-15 15:22:56

Perfect by Rachel Fry is nice easy holiday reading and quite a good book actually.

anyquestions Sun 26-Jul-15 16:08:02

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into them.

Isabella, I have already ready Perfect and enjoyed it a lot (though was a bit disappointed by the ending) so you were obviously thinking on the right lines!

Have seen the film of Gone Girl, so probably a bit late for me to read the book now, though I did enjoy the film.

SandysMam Sun 26-Jul-15 20:11:55

Anything by Jane Green is really easy holiday reading. Enjoy, lucky thing!

madmother1 Sun 26-Jul-15 20:26:32

I'm reading Still Alice. It's very thought provoking.

flumperoo Sun 26-Jul-15 20:37:48

The girl on the train.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 26-Jul-15 20:44:30

I loved Still Alice but Gone Girl is a bit marmite, I hated it.

StrumpersPlunkett Sun 26-Jul-15 20:53:11

just read "man called ove" was brilliantly funny and well observed.
also Cecelia Ahern The year I met you. an unusual book but I enjoyed it v much.

StepfauxWife Sun 26-Jul-15 20:55:37

I'm a big fan of Liane Moriarty - The Husband's Secret and currently reading Little Lies. Easy reading but still compelling. Enjoy!

FreeButtonBee Sun 26-Jul-15 20:56:45

The line of beauty - 80's politics and gay storyline. Really excllleent

I am enjoying the new David Mitchell - the bone clocks

What about a bit of Le carre - the perfect spy is great holiday reading

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now