Talk

Advanced search

Anyone read the Martian?

(5 Posts)
BunnyRuddington Fri 24-Jul-15 08:54:38

and is it worth persevering? I like the concept of the book, but I'm glazing over slightly at the long science rambles.

CoteDAzur Fri 24-Jul-15 13:23:03

Well, I like "long science rambles" so that didn't bother me. The book is all about one guy's calculations and McGyver-esque problem-solving to stay alive in a hostile environment with very limited possessions, so sciency parts are kind of an essential part of the plot. If you don't like that sort of thing, this book might not be for you.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 24-Jul-15 13:27:05

I am enjoying it, just find that I start to switch doze off. Perhaps I'm reading too late and should give it a try earlier in the evening.

WiIdfire Fri 24-Jul-15 13:31:09

I thought it was brilliant, but then I'm scientifically minded and enjoyed him figuring out how to overcome all the obstacles, and found the science fascinating. Right up my street.

It continues on the same vein for the whole book, so if you are glazing over at the molecular conversion of rocket fuel, you might be better off with something else :-)

I thought it was adolescent and boring, for the most part. I did finish it, but I didn't think it was worth it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now