Talk

Advanced search

"Is anybody out there?" by Marian Keyes

(10 Posts)
ImperialBlether Fri 17-Jul-15 23:14:16

Just re-read this - love it, but don't like Helen's emails.

In it we're told in her dream of Aiden, that she has already met the man she'll end up with.

The only two contenders as far as I can see are Angelo and Mitch. Does anyone know (from a future book) who she ends up with? It's very important to me!! My daughter says she thinks it's in Mercy Close, but I can't remember.

Can anyone put me out of my misery?

darktimes Sat 18-Jul-15 00:24:41

It's the one she meets in a diner who thinks she's an addict - Angelo I think. I loved that book and was so pleased when they were in a later book briefly.

ImperialBlether Sat 18-Jul-15 11:21:33

Oh thank you for answering.

I'm so glad it was him! I loved his character and I could tell he really liked her. She went to him to have sex with him when she found out her husband's secret (won't say it here in case someone hasn't read it) and he wouldn't, saying "What kind of man would I be..." Was it in Mercy Close, then?

My daughter thought she would end up with Mitch, the guy who lost his wife, but I think they were just friends who absolutely understood what the other had been through.

Theselittlelightsaremine Sat 18-Jul-15 11:28:39

<hides eyes>

It's on my book shelf to read

ImperialBlether Sat 18-Jul-15 12:45:24

Buy a box of tissues before you do, Theselittlelightsaremine!

darktimes Sat 18-Jul-15 13:17:53

I was so glad it was him too and I loved the scenes when he won't have sex with her and when he's comforting her in the diner. I think her and Mitch both had too much pain to help each other properly.
I think it must be Mercy Close where it comes up, I can't remember. I didn't like it quite so much because Helen was not at all as I'd expected. I love Marian Keyes and the Walsh family.

ImperialBlether Sat 18-Jul-15 13:38:21

I was very disappointed in Mercy Close. I wish Marian had written Helen's story when she herself wasn't suffering from a terrible depression. It wasn't how I'd seen Helen at all and I can't see that Marian saw her like that either before she was ill.

Her male characters are really great. I particularly loved Luke in Rachel's Holiday. Bloody gorgeous!

darktimes Sat 18-Jul-15 19:42:33

That's so true - you could feel the depression permeating the pages. Which I suppose makes it powerful but it wasn't at all what I expected. Poor Helen.

I totally love Luke too and also the boss in Sushi for beginners - can't remember his name. I must reread some of these, it's been ages.

ElfOnTheTopShelf Wed 22-Jul-15 21:35:02

I think with Mercy close it's that message that depression can affect anybody, even the most outrageously fun people. I was surprised at the direction of it because I was expecting fun Helen, but I liked the book.

What I love about those is the catching up with the family; everytime there is a new book, waiting to see what's happened to the sisters (and Luke, obvs, he deserves his own book imo!!)

grahamnortonsbeard Sat 25-Jul-15 21:50:34

Just finished it and loved it! I must admit I didn't like Helen's emails either; I'm slightly ashamed to say I skipped them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now