Talk

Advanced search

Really good gripping Music AutoBiographies? like Duff McKagan?

(17 Posts)
Melissande Tue 14-Jul-15 23:34:51

Having grown up in the 80ies, I am in the last pages of Duff McKagans book, and its been a gripping ride! The dude can write!! (no ghostwriter here) And I had forgotten what a kick ass band G'n'R were! So what should I read next? Any similar really well written books about music/artists/bands I should dive into?

TheHouseOnBellSt Wed 15-Jul-15 16:14:01

I loved Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis of the Red Hot Chillis. Absolutely fascinating it was and I don't even read autobiographies usually!

tumbletumble Wed 15-Jul-15 16:55:04

I really, really enjoyed Clothes, Clothes, Clothes. Music, Music, Music. Boys, Boys, Boys by Viv Albertine. Fascinating stuff, well written.

ConcreteElephant Wed 15-Jul-15 16:57:19

Boy George 'Take it like a man'

It's brilliant.

KatieScarlettreregged Wed 15-Jul-15 17:00:05

Another vote for Take it like a man. Best 80's bio I have read and I am not even a fan of Culture Club or George.

ConcreteElephant Wed 15-Jul-15 17:00:22

I've always heard good things about the Mötley Crüe biog, even from people who aren't even particularly fans of that type of music - it's just a great story apparently.

broadbeanstew Wed 15-Jul-15 17:01:00

Kim Gordon from Sonic Youth's book Girl in a Band is brilliant. Also John Peel's autobiographies are great

sunglasses Wed 15-Jul-15 17:11:09

Yes I second Viv Albertine it's a great book. Also Julian Copes Head On and Repossessed. Also loved Tony Wilsons 24 hour party people when I read it years ago and Danny Bakers going to see in a sieve is good. Also Nick Kent's Apathy for the devil

augustusglupe Wed 15-Jul-15 17:18:22

Me too!! It's around 15 years since I read the Boy George biog and it is indeed brilliant!! Still got it, must re read soon!!

KatieScarlettreregged Wed 15-Jul-15 17:43:02

The sequel was a bit pants though. I'd give that a miss.
I've read the Motley Crüe one. You need a strong stomach as it is pretty graphic.

Melissande Fri 17-Jul-15 07:12:16

Thank you ! Off to Fill the Kindle! Xx

IPityThePontipines Tue 21-Jul-15 01:00:58

The Boy George one is fantastic, I loved it and would happily re-read it.

Tracey Thorn (Everything but the girl) is meant to have written a good one, but I haven't read it yet.

WestleyAndButtockUp Tue 21-Jul-15 01:16:17

Bob Geldof's "Is that it?"

The man can write, great eye for a good story.. Describes the impact of punk and Bowie, what Paula Yares was like, and of course the build up to and experience of Live Aid.

AlpacaMyBags Tue 21-Jul-15 01:19:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CoteDAzur Sun 15-Nov-15 20:01:41

Mike Oldfield has a great autobiography.

EldonAve Sun 15-Nov-15 21:02:10

Motley Crue
Tommy Lee
Slash - this one was really good

I quite liked Holly Johnson's book

Anthony K from RHCP book was ok. I felt he still had no self awareness re his past unlike for example Duff or Slash

chickenstew74 Tue 17-Nov-15 11:58:37

I really enjoyed Duff McKagan's book too. I was surprised at how articulate he was. I have Slash's at home but haven't yet read it. I was a bit worried it would disappoint after reading Duff's.

I also enjoyed Viv Albertine's book. I've heard that the Motley Crew and Led Zeppelin ones are good (eye-opening) reads!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now