Talk

Advanced search

A Little Life

(5 Posts)
TeddyRuxpinsSmile Sun 12-Jul-15 12:47:35

I've just finished this, and I'd love to know what anyone else's opinion of it is. It had rave reviews in the states, and was published here in May. I am stunned by the beauty and brutality and truth of the story, the characters and the prose. I think it will stay with me for an awfully long time, and it reminds me in many ways of The Secret History, although it's much darker. I also found it pretty hard going at times- the book is a monster at over 700 pages. I'd thoroughly recommend it if you don't mind a little (ok a lot of) darkness in exchange for some utterly beautiful insights and incredibly touching human moments. Would love to hear what anyone else thinks?

southeastdweller Wed 15-Jul-15 18:35:31

I've added it to my already huge tbr pile after reading your comments and skim-reading some Amazon reviews. I'll get the Kindle version as I'm getting annoyed by lugging round hardbacks (fell out of love with my Kindle a few years ago).

I wonder if it'll make the Man Booker longlist (announced in two weeks)?

TeddyRuxpinsSmile Thu 16-Jul-15 16:22:35

I'd put some money on it Southeastdweller...what else is on your reading list, if you don't mind my asking? I want to up my reading now my lg is sleeping better!

southeastdweller Wed 29-Jul-15 18:23:41

Sorry for the late reply...my tbr list is so long I'll be here forever if I posted every one! But The Green Road, I Capture the Castle, The Little Stranger and The Secret History are on it.

Bought the Kindle version today and will read it soon. Little bit daunted about the size, but I recently skim-read a review of it by someone I rate so I think it should be a decent read.

And yes, it made the longlist smile

Leaningtoweroflisa Tue 11-Aug-15 21:33:03

Was going to start my own thread grin - finished it yesterday after starting it Saturday, could not put it down and then wept when I got to the end.

Completely agree, brutal and beautiful. I wish the abuse had not been so endless and there was no easy redemption for anyone. In some ways I was glad there was no glib easy fix, damage cannot be magically undone only lived easier with and I think this is why it felt so true.

I'm now curious about her previous novel...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now