Talk

Advanced search

Please help me find a new series of books

(35 Posts)
MrsPnut Sat 11-Jul-15 15:42:30

A few of my favourite authors have finished their series of books and I have been casting around my ereader for a few days looking for something to read. As I am about to go on our annual holiday (also known as read as many books in two weeks as possible), I need to find someone new to get enthused about.

I have read and enjoyed the Kim Harrison Hollows series, Kat Richardson grey walker series, everything Janet Evanovich has ever written, Jim Butcher until the stupid ghost one, Sue Grafton's alphabet series, all of the Agatha Raisin series, quite a few other cozy mystery ones, all of the Jack Reacher books and some of Jame Patterson's early stuff (but it's all the same now)

Please can you suggest something new, and if there are a few in the series, so much the better. I do read a couple of books a week so I'm always looking for suggestions.

Talisin Sat 11-Jul-15 15:59:16

Kelley Armstrong' - Women of the Otherworld sequence.
Ilona Andrews - Kate Daniels series
You may well also like Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson series and Kalayna Price's Alex Craft books.

UrsulaBuffay Sat 11-Jul-15 16:03:33

Graham masterton and elly griffiths are great

highlandcoo Sat 11-Jul-15 16:18:41

Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache detective novels? Cosy crime in the village of Three Pines near Quebec. Interesting setting in French Canadian community.

LumpySpacedPrincess Sat 11-Jul-15 16:36:09

Phil Rickman's Merrily Watkins series.

LadyDeadpool Sat 11-Jul-15 16:41:40

Kitty Norville books
Archie and Gretchen books by Chelsea Cain are brilliant she's a serial killer and he's a cop/the only victim she ever let live.

Trumpton Sat 11-Jul-15 16:54:47

St May's Chronicles Jodi Taylor . Fab romp through time .

“History is just one damned thing after another” - Arnold Toynbee

A madcap new slant on history that seems to be everyone's cup of tea...

Behind the seemingly innocuous façade of St Mary's, a different kind of historical research is taking place. They don't do 'time-travel' - they 'investigate major historical events in contemporary time'. Maintaining the appearance of harmless eccentrics is not always within their power - especially given their propensity for causing loud explosions when things get too quiet.

Meet the disaster-magnets of St Mary's Institute of Historical Research as they ricochet around History. Their aim is to observe and document - to try and find the answers to many of History's unanswered questions...and not to die in the process.

But one wrong move and History will fight back - to the death. And, as they soon discover - it's not just History they're fighting.

Follow the catastrophe curve from eleventh-century London to World War I, and from the Cretaceous Period to the destruction of the Great Library at Alexandria. For wherever Historians go, chaos is sure to follow in their wake ...

www.amazon.co.uk/Damned-Thing-After-Another-Chronicles-ebook/dp/B00EUIEKA4

psyandsoc Sat 11-Jul-15 17:09:23

Second Lumpy with Phil Rickman most definitely a good read.

MrsPnut Sun 12-Jul-15 06:55:45

Ooh thank you, so many authors I've never heard of.

I was sure I was going to have to say "read that" but I haven't.

I shall spend this afternoon investigating every one of your suggestions.

Bin85 Sun 12-Jul-15 07:03:32

Agatha Christie
Colin Dexter
Nicci French

theITgirl Sun 12-Jul-15 07:07:15

I will also agree with the St Mary's chronicles by jodi Taylor. Currently reading them for the second time.

2fedup Sun 12-Jul-15 07:13:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ZacharyQuack Sun 12-Jul-15 07:17:04

John Sandford's Prey series, with the Virgil Flowers offshoots.
Michael Connelly
Robert Crais' Elvis Cole series
Julia Spencer-Fleming

OwlAtEase Sun 12-Jul-15 08:07:58

I agee with Talisin about the Alex Craft series and Mercy Thompson series. I love urban fantasy fiction, and recently really enjoyed the Darkfever series by Karen Marie Moning, the Disillusionist trilogy by Carolyn Crane, and the Jane True series by Nicole Peeler.

DuchessofMalfi Sun 12-Jul-15 09:27:42

Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London and subsequent novels in the series are wonderful. I love them. They're a clever and funny mix of fantasy and police/detective work. I love them, and the good news is that there's another novel out later this year smile

Talisin Sun 12-Jul-15 18:42:34

Ooh, the Ben Aaronovitch recs (with which I totally agree) have reminded me of Paul Cornell's London Falling and The Severed Streets. Number three in the series (was called Who Killed Sherlock Holmes but I think it may have changed) is due next year now but I heard him read an excerpt at Worldcon last year and I can't wait!

PoppyAmex Sun 12-Jul-15 21:56:07

St Marys Chronicles are such great fun and there's already 5 books in the series plus a few short stories.

Trumpton Sun 12-Jul-15 22:18:54

I have just pre- ordered book 6 of the St Mary's Chronicles but have started re-reading them .

sparkysparkysparky Mon 13-Jul-15 07:48:51

First St Mary ' s just added to my holiday list - 1.99 on kindle! Thanks.
I'd recommend the V I Warshawski series by Sara Paretsky.

sparkysparkysparky Mon 13-Jul-15 12:16:44

And the Jasper Fforde - Thursday Next series

cdtaylornats Mon 13-Jul-15 12:24:28

If you liked the Agatha Raisin series then you could try her other series Hamish MacBeth

bookwormbeagle Mon 13-Jul-15 12:26:47

I'd also highly recommend the rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch. Have you read the cuckoo's calling and the silkworm by Robert Galbraith (aka j k Rowling)? Also very good.

GiantGaspingSatanicCyst Mon 13-Jul-15 12:30:42

James Lee Burke's series about Dave Robicheaux. Fascinating, well written detective fiction, and there are loads of them.

MrsPnut Mon 13-Jul-15 16:50:30

You lot are blooming marvellous.
I've downloaded the St Mary's Chronicles, the Ben Aaronovitch series, the Paul Cornell books, the Mercy Thompson and Alex Craft books and I will check out some of the other suggestions.

Thank you so much.

2fedup Mon 13-Jul-15 18:19:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now