Talk

Advanced search

Could someone recommend some books like A Change of Climate by Hilary Mantel please?

(5 Posts)
jamtomorrow1 Mon 29-Jun-15 17:40:42

I think the publisher rather w*nkily describes it as a 'literary family saga'. I liked the way that the language and ideas were a considerable improvement on the usual Aga saga sort of thing. Any thoughts?

Cornishblues Mon 29-Jun-15 20:07:10

Isabel allende's house of spirits.
Jane gardam's old filth.

bethshart Mon 06-Jul-15 20:04:27

If you like good story telling, modern missionary tales set in Africa and very creative writing, Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible is superb.

jamtomorrow1 Thu 13-Aug-15 17:09:09

The Poisonwood Bible looks really good! So does House of Spirits. I have read Old Filth already. Thanks very much bethshart and Cornishblues.

OnlyLovers Fri 14-Aug-15 16:59:43

Yes, Barbara Kingsolver is AWESOME but personally I think Prodigal Summer is better than The Poisonwood Bible.

Jane Smiley's A Thousand Acres. American farming family from just before the Great Depression to, I think, the mid-sixties.

Elizabeth Jane Howard's Cazalet Chronicles. About a million of them, so they'll keep you going for ages. A middle-class extended family before, through and (I asssume; I'm still reading!) after WW2. Told from everyone's point of view: all the adults, the servants and staff, the children. Lots of idyllic summer stuff like messing about in fields, but proper adult stuff like unwanted pregnancies, unfaithfulness etc too. Completely brilliant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now