Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone read The Outcast by Sadie Jones?

(5 Posts)
MitzyLeFrouf Tue 23-Jun-15 13:57:12

I did and I loved it, beautiful and heartbreaking tale of middle class dysfunction in post WWII England. Stiff upper lip and pour another gin.

Well I've just read on Twitter that it's been adapted for TV by the BBC. Looking forward to seeing this, hope it's as good as it is in my mind. Are they ever?!

(I didn't find her second novel Small Wars half as engaging but that's by the by)

mmack Tue 23-Jun-15 20:29:18

I read it recently and enjoyed it very much. I got it second-hand and thought it would be a light Mary Wesley kind of book but it was much darker than I was expecting. It reminded me a bit of Atonement. It would make a very good mini-series.

Waitingforsherlock Tue 23-Jun-15 20:32:42

Yes. Seeing your post reminded me. I loved it and thought it was really well written. Haven't read any of her other novels though.

jkklpu Tue 23-Jun-15 20:34:07

That's something to look forward to - thanks for the tip. Made me cry.

Earthbound Tue 23-Jun-15 20:34:20

I loved it too. I remember being on edge for the entire second half because I was convinced something catastrophically dreadful was about to happen.

Very well written.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now