Talk

Advanced search

May discussion - a little lighter with a twist!

(12 Posts)
Freddiecat Tue 04-May-04 12:10:39

The next book list I have come up with is based on a suggestion from someone (can't remember who - sorry!). This is novels which have been made into films. My criteria for selecting the 4 books on the short list is that they should have been well regarded as novels in their own right before the film was made. In all cases there was a gap between the film and the book. Additionally the film itself should have been well known.

I think this list is a little lighter than some of the previous ones so those people who looked at the "light reading" thread might also enjoy this one.

I also thought that once people have finished the book it might be interesting to watch the film and then as well as discussing the book we can discuss the film adaptation of the book.

All films have been released, with the exception of one which is due for release on DVD at the end of May.

Freddiecat Tue 04-May-04 12:15:16

THE HORSE WHISPERER - NICHOLAS EVANS
(film made in 1997 starring Kristin Scott Thomas and Robert Redford)
When the Graves family is struck by tragedy, each searches for their own way to come to terms with it. Annie thinks if she can fix Grace's physically and spiritually battered horse, she'll mend her daughter's maimed soul in the process. And so the search for the mythical horse whisperer begins. He appears in the form of Tom Booker--a handsome, rugged, sensitive Montana cowboy. The story travels from Upstate New York to Manhattan, then makes an eventful detour through the glorious foothills of the Rocky Mountains.
The Horse Whisperer

CHARLOTTE GRAY - SEBASTIAN FAULKS
(film made in 2001 starring Cate Blanchett and Billy Crudup)
Charlotte is a highly educated young Scottish woman who falls passionately in love with an airman, Peter Gregory, emotionally scarred by his many close brushes with death. When he disappears on a mission to France, she follows him as a British secret courier, sent over to help support the Resistance. Having failed to find Gregory, she decides to stay on to do what she can for the France she has loved since childhood.
Charlotte Gray

GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING - TRACEY CHEVALIER
(film made in 2003 (DVD to be released May 31 2004) starring Colin Firth and Scarlett Johansson)
Girl with a Pearl Earring tells the story of Griet, the young daughter of a tile-maker in 17th century Holland, who obtains her first job as a servant in Vermeer's household. She loves being drawn into his artistic life, but the cost to her own survival may be high.
Girl With a Pearl Earring

THE REMAINS OF THE DAY - KAZUO ISHIGURO
(film made in 1993 starring Emma Thompson and Anthony Hopkins)
An elderly butler is on a five-day motoring trip through the West Country in the 1950s. The climax of his journey is to be a reunion with his former housekeeper. This 1989 Booker Prize-winner attempts to capture a period in British history and draw a portrait of a man in old age.
The Remains of the Day

Carrie (mumsnet) Tue 04-May-04 13:52:42

Hi all

If you were thinking of buying these from Amazon (and bringing some revenue to mumsnet at the same time)you'd need to use the following links:
The Horse Whisperer
Charlotte Gray

The Girl with the Pearl Earring

The Remains of the Day

Thanks and happy reading!
Carrie, Justine, Rachel

Marina Tue 04-May-04 14:01:43

Nice list Freddie - my vote goes to Remains of the Day but happy to try any of the others, especially as the last time I tried to read The Horse Whisperer I found it a bit daft and gave up...time for a re-visit maybe.

bbensley Tue 04-May-04 17:04:12

Ooooh I like the look of that list. Have read Charlotte Gray so any other the other three would be good

boobles Thu 06-May-04 21:39:05

Hello, I'm new to mumsnet, but love the bookclub idea. I was an avid reader pre-daughter (14 weeks) and would love to get back into it. My vote would go to The Remains of the Day, but am happy to read anything more highbrow than a mother and baby magazine!

Freddiecat Tue 18-May-04 13:32:46

Well - 2 votes to Remains of the Day and 1 vote to anything else. It's not really what I'd call a critical mass at the moment!

Are people too exhausted by the heat or are the other book threads diverting everyone's attention (and reading time!).

I won't take a poll until we have a few more people on for the discussion - no rush though as the other threads are pretty active at the moment!

spacemonkey Tue 18-May-04 13:34:47

Remains of the Day is one of my all time favourite books, I've read it over and over again. Highly recommend!

mummysurfer Thu 20-May-04 12:28:35

the girl with the pearl earring

reason - i already have this in my 'to be read' pile, the others i would have to buy.

nigglynelly Thu 20-May-04 21:23:43

I'd love to join in to divert my attention from 'how to puree' literature! I'd vote for 'Remains of the Day', but am happy to go with the flow!

Julietclaire Fri 21-May-04 01:37:45

Remains of the Day as have read the other 3!

Freddiecat Fri 21-May-04 20:55:21

Well it looks like Remains of the Day it is then. Mummysurfer - I'm sure if you start a thread to discuss Girl With a Pearl Earring then lots of people would join in.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: