Help me choose some books please oh please!

(13 Posts)
MrNedSchneebly Sun 07-Jun-15 12:39:58

Just finished Us by David Nicholls and while I found lots wrong with One Day I absolutely loved Us. That said I don't think I want my next book to be a charming elderly
Man type book (eg 100yr old man, Harold fry, spot of bother etc). Have read all of them Any way.

Please help! Thanks.

I think I'm after a detective novel (Robert Galbraith) or something light and women's fictiony (where d you go Bernadette type)

magimedi Sun 07-Jun-15 13:15:23

Susan Hill's Simon Serraliier series are great, especially if you liked Robert Galbraith.

sparkysparkysparky Sun 07-Jun-15 13:56:08

Vi Warshawski series by Sara Paretsky

MrNedSchneebly Sun 07-Jun-15 14:29:30

Is the Susan hill scary? Woman in black scared the bejesus out of me!

DuchessofMalfi Sun 07-Jun-15 14:50:34

Agree Susan Hill's Simon Serrailler series is brilliant. Not scary - they are detective series based around Simon Serrailler and his sister who is a doctor. I loved them and hope she doesn't take too long to write the next one.

KurriKurri Sun 07-Jun-15 16:06:52

If you fancy historical detective fiction try the Shardlake series by C J Sansom.

And if you want something with wonderful female protagonists I would recommend 'The Normal State of Mind' by Susmita Bhattacharya here declaring an interest as author is a friend and a very talented woman, but I wouldn't recommend it if I didn't think it was brilliant, the characters will get right into your heart and stay there.

KurriKurri Sun 07-Jun-15 16:19:31

Lindsay Davies Falco detective series also quite good (set in Roman times) and Elly Griffiths -Ruth Galloway series about a forensic archaelogist, also good.
Agree with Duchessofmalfi and magicmedi recs of the Susan Hill ones too - I've enjoyed those.

The Peter Mays Lewis Trilogy is great too - quite dark, but excellent stories think the first one is called The Blackhouse.

runningvixen Fri 12-Jun-15 19:01:09

Regarding the detective novel, Emily Donoho's NYPD based debut novel In the Canyons of Shadow and Light might interest you, OP. It's very well written - psychological suspense combined with police procedural/courtroom drama.

There is also E.V. Greig's recent Feminist novella Project Nightingale, which is a near future era science-fiction/spy adventure.

LapinDeBois Fri 12-Jun-15 22:08:08

How about Kate Atkinson's detective novels? They're v good. The first one is Case Histories.

BeerBird Sun 14-Jun-15 09:34:21

A twist on detective novels would be Jasper Fforde, he is brilliant!

A not-detective novel I have just read (had to get up an hour early each day to read it, it was that good) was Station Eleven, by Emily St John Mandel.

In fact I came to this section to see if anyone else has read it. It's really incredible and I would highly recommend it.

DuchessofMalfi Sun 14-Jun-15 16:34:30

I've had my eye on Station Eleven for a while and bought it last week. It sounds good.

BeerBird Sun 14-Jun-15 21:13:56

duchess start it now!!! You have a good few hours before bed!

It's really good, I keep flicking back to it in my mind!

DuchessofMalfi Sun 14-Jun-15 21:26:40

I'll make it my next book, then smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now