Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know this book set in the world od horse racing? Warning - contains a very vague description.

(12 Posts)
birkiekid Sun 07-Jun-15 12:39:10

I read it when I was a teenager. It might be YA fiction, not sure as I had free run of the library and used to read from every section. It is based in the racing world and I think the main character was a young woman and part of it is about a jockey (possibly a real life person but it isn't a biography). I remember a part about the jockey trying to lose weight for a race.

I've been doing some googling but I don't have enough to go on.

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
Rivercam Sun 07-Jun-15 12:43:27

Dick Francis writes a lot of books set in the racing world.

What sort of book was it - romance? Detective?

birkiekid Sun 07-Jun-15 12:47:48

It definitely wasn't a thriller or detective, maybe a romance. I read it nearly 30 years ago. Sorry for being vague.

OneHandFlapping Sun 07-Jun-15 12:50:43

Jilly Cooper? Riders? Although I'm not sure that's 30 years old

OneHandFlapping Sun 07-Jun-15 12:51:47

Jilly Cooper? Riders? Although I'm not sure that's 30 years old

Rivercam Sun 07-Jun-15 12:54:35

National Velvet - this was a popular film.m I guess there was a book version also.

Black beauty?

Scissor Sun 07-Jun-15 12:54:51

Rupert Cambell-Black..omg am having palpitations at the memory. Riders is 1985 so bang on 30 years old.

OneHandFlapping Sun 07-Jun-15 12:55:06

Sorry for the double post.

Actually it was published in 1985.

Scissor Sun 07-Jun-15 12:56:08

You could loosely call it a romance!!!

Rivercam Sun 07-Jun-15 12:59:00

I haven't read Riders for ages. I think I'm going to have to read it again, for research purposes to see if it's op's book, ...![ blush]

HarrietVane99 Sun 07-Jun-15 12:59:13

Might it have been by K.M. Peyton? She wrote quite a lot of horsey books and I think I vaguely remember there was one about a jockey.

birkiekid Sun 07-Jun-15 12:59:42

I've found it!

It was Dear Fred by KM Peyton. I knew it wasn't a Flambards book so dismissed KM Peyton but out of no-where I remembered the jockey was named Fred and that led me to it.

I wonder if it was any good. I remember it quite fondly.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in