Talk

Advanced search

Crooked Heart by Lissa Evans

(3 Posts)
hackmum Sun 07-Jun-15 11:02:55

I wondered if anyone else had read this? I had never heard of Lissa Evans until a friend recommended her, so I bought this.

It's set at the beginning of WW2 and is the story of a 10-year old boy whose guardian (his godmother) dies and is evacuated to St Albans. That doesn't sound very promising but it's wonderful - gently comic with an undercurrent of sadness. The woman he is sent to in St Albans and her adult son are both engaged in illegal activity of different kinds (this isn't one of these novels about how the spirit of the Blitz brings everyone together). The boy himself is unusually clever and thoughtful, having been brought up by a highly educated woman who was formerly a suffragette - and therefore everyone he comes into contact with thinks he's a bit weird.

I know lots of people here are always on the lookout for new authors, so do give her a go - it's not a difficult read, but it is an engrossing one.

MargoReadbetter Sun 07-Jun-15 18:33:26

Thanks. I'll see about downloading a chapter.

mistymeanour Sun 07-Jun-15 21:56:36

I read a proof copy of this - I really liked it. It is sad and quite humorous all at the same time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now