Talk

Advanced search

Sorry, more holiday recommendations (based on books I have loved and loathed!)

(13 Posts)
Couchto5ktowine Tue 02-Jun-15 20:42:27

Soooo, first rule is I'm still anti-Kindle and so can't deal with anything hardback/likely to breach my easyjet weight allowance (sorry The Girl on the Train / The Goldfinch)...

Books I have loved reading on holiday (in no particular order)

Anything by Victoria Hislop
Cazalet Chronicles
Most books by Sarah Waters (except The Little Stranger - WTF?!)
Hunger Games trilogy (ditto Northern Lights)
The Rosie Project
Longbourn
Anything Audrey Niffenegger
The Night Circus

Books I have loathed and have given me the rage:

We are all completely besides ourselves
The 100 year old man who climbed out of a window and bored me into submission...

I'm sure there are more in the latter camp but they're the ones that spring to mind...

PS I'm a book a day girl so pleeeaaassee save me from badly chosen book hell!

Takver Tue 02-Jun-15 20:47:15

If you're not averse to YA, you might like the Uglies trilogy, ideal holiday reading, I'd say.

agoodbook Tue 02-Jun-15 20:48:10

ooh - I have found another anti kindle person!
Maybe something from this list ?
Lucinda Riley is good (maybe a big big though for luggage)
Rachel Hore
Santa Montefiore
Katherine Webb
Rosie Thomas
JoJo Moyes
Marcia Willett

FiveGoMadInDorset Tue 02-Jun-15 20:50:11

Marian Keyes is someone I always read if in doubt and need something.

FiveGoMadInDorset Tue 02-Jun-15 20:51:32

Fanny Flagg - don't laugh - Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe

FuzzyWizard Tue 02-Jun-15 20:53:37

I recommend the Chaos Walking trilogy if you liked hunger games. One of the best YA series out there IMO. But then I loved both 100 year old man and we are all completely beside ourselves so feel free to ignore me.

Dora Damage - have forgotten the writer and even its proper title, but it's good fun.

YA series - 'Gone' and co by Michael Grant and 'Across the Nightingale Floor' and co by Leanne Hearne.

If you liked, 'The Hunger Games' try 'The Long Walk' by Stephen King, and also 'Red Rising' which Cote recommended on the 50 Books threads, and which several of us have now enjoyed (it's more intelligent than The Hunger Games imvho).

Couchto5ktowine Tue 02-Jun-15 21:01:10

Ooh, excellent recommendations and so quickly! Thank you all!!

Five I'm such a huge Marian fan, Rachel's Holiday is on my Top Ten and I love her Twitter feed... But...<awkward pause> well the latest few just haven't done it for me... But I shall happily investigate Fanny Flagg (!!!)

Everyone else: I'm googling like mad! THANK YOU!!!

HRHQueenMe Sun 07-Jun-15 11:46:21

In the Marian Genre try Jane Fallon, have loved all her books! (Ricky Gervais wife).
Hunger Games Genre read the Divergent books. Utterly brilliant and will totally suck you in. Also The Circle (engelsfors trilogy) are a good teen read that I enjoyed (not a teenager).
Finally read The Duff, fantabulous sext teen fiction, film was terrible book amazeballs!

gailforce1 Sun 07-Jun-15 16:13:41

If you like Audrey Niffenegger have you tried Nicole Krauss or Alice Sebold?

Cherrypi Sun 07-Jun-15 17:37:42

Station eleven.

cococandyfloss Mon 08-Jun-15 15:33:18

Have you read Lisa Jewell -The house we grew up in -I really enjoyed that. I couldn't agree with you more about 'we are all completely beside ourselves'-I was really looking forward to that one too!.

cococandyfloss Mon 08-Jun-15 15:34:39

I have also just received a free mumsnet review copy of 'The girls from Corona del Mar' -haven't started it yet but sounds good from the blurb.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now