Talk

Advanced search

The miniaturist

(29 Posts)
Kangaroo1 Sun 31-May-15 20:09:51

I'm about a quarter of the way through this and struggling to get sucked in, does it get better? Or for those who loved it, tell me why. I really want to like it!

littlerach Sun 31-May-15 20:11:08

My friend read it and did mention it took 150 pages before she was enjoying it...
It's on my to read pile.

pourmeanotherglass Sun 31-May-15 20:12:30

It does take off, its worth persisting.

MerdeAlor Sun 31-May-15 20:16:33

I gave up, couldn't see why it was worth perservering. Following to see if I gave up in error.

Loveleopardprint Sun 31-May-15 20:18:26

It gets much better and you do get drawn in. Most of my book group enjoyed it.

claracluck1978 Sun 31-May-15 20:21:14

It does draw you in, but agree it takes a while. I probably spent three or four nights having it send me off to sleep before it gripped me. Persevere if you can

FizzyGood Sun 31-May-15 20:21:47

It does get better, but I found the end really disappointing. It was as if they just didn't know where to go with it so went with whatever they could to meet the deadline.

Kangaroo1 Sun 31-May-15 20:23:10

Lovely, this is good news. I hate giving up on books. I'm very much a completionist! Keep the comments coming though smile

HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs Sun 31-May-15 20:23:56

I found myself really drawn in after about 100 pages, but quite honestly I wish I hadn't bothered with the rest of the book. The ending is such a let down.

LouiseBrooks Sun 31-May-15 20:24:22

I chose it for my book group a couple of months ago. It took me a little while to get in, but I absolutely loved it in the end. Highly recommended.

OttiliaVonBCup Sun 31-May-15 20:24:32

It's a very odd book.

sunniest Sun 31-May-15 22:24:10

It took me a while to get into and then I was gripped to the end but looking back I am not sure why. I agree that it is an odd book!

Mehitabel6 Sun 31-May-15 22:27:35

A great book. The only one that all my book group have really liked.

trixymalixy Sun 31-May-15 22:31:03

I persevered but the ending was a total let down.

snozzlemaid Sun 31-May-15 22:31:05

Another one here who gave up. Didn't like any of the characters and really couldn't care what happened to any of them.

TigerWhoCameForGin Sun 31-May-15 22:34:09

I really enjoyed it till the end, which was rubbish.

If you're enjoying the period though Tulip Fever by Deborah Moggach is wonderful.

SanityClause Sun 31-May-15 22:48:15

I thought it was fairly rubbish, to be honest. I did read it to the end. It wasn't heavy going, or anything, but I didn't find the characters very likeable, and I didn't really understand what the character of The Minaturist was all about. Was she making the story happen? And I couldn't work out why he just didn't get on and sell the bloody sugar. Just didn't get it, I suppose.

CointreauVersial Sun 31-May-15 22:49:43

Loved it, thought it was very different. I was a little disappointed with the end, though.

sunniest Sun 31-May-15 23:10:16

Sanity - agree with you. I couldnt understand why Johanne didnt want to sell and didn't really care about any of the characters that much. Also, considering the book is called after her, you could have not had the miniaturist in the story and it would hardly have affected it. I think it was finding out about her and her powers that kept me going so I was just left disappointed and a bit depressed at the end.

CruCru Mon 01-Jun-15 10:40:12

I liked this a lot. I also just read The Girl on the Train. What else should I read?

yesbutnobut Mon 01-Jun-15 11:10:45

It's a completely overrated book imo!!! It's like a book written by someone who's been to a creative writing course. The only thing I liked was the setting in Amsterdam but otherwise what a load of tosh. As others have said, what purpose does the Miniaturist serve?

BaconAndAvocado Mon 01-Jun-15 20:48:41

God, it took forever to warm up! But when it finally did ALOT happened!

Overall, I was underwhelmed by the book, though, as others have said, enjoyed the settings and history elements.

Kangaroo1 Thu 04-Jun-15 20:07:46

I finally finished it. It did finally warm up, but I'd say not to the extent I wanted it to. Moments of brilliance amongst a lot of dull.

Pumble Thu 04-Jun-15 20:17:11

I was close to giving up on this having been struggling to get into it for weeks but suddenly it got better and sucked me in. It does take a while though but I think worth persevering. I agree the ending was weak though-so much more could have been done.

OttiliaVonBCup Thu 04-Jun-15 20:17:55

I keep thinking it could've been a good book.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now