Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Come and spoil The Girl In The Red Coat for me please.

(6 Posts)
AliceLidl Tue 26-May-15 09:07:59

I'm about halfway through on my Kindle, it's not what I was hoping for, and although I don't dislike it I'd like to know what's going on.

It started off fairly straightforward, but there seem to be some 'woo' bits to it now that I don't really like in this book, although I've read other books with 'woo' bits and liked them.

I mean, the 'Granddad' seems to believe Carmel has magic powers of some sort, and the friend claimed Carmel was linked to God. And even Beth hints that she thinks Carmel has something unusually special about her.

I'm at the bit with the river and the baptism and I'm torn between just giving up or pushing on because I'd like to know if Beth and Carmel are ever reunited, and if 'granddad' and Dorothy are ever caught or punished.

I've also seen a bit of speculation about "is she dead and doesn't know it?" so I'd like to know that as well. And does Carmel have some sort of power or ability, or is that something we never really know?

AliceLidl Wed 27-May-15 09:24:56

I finished the book last night.

I didn't love the book but it was okay.

IDoAllMyOwnStunts Sat 06-Jun-15 15:32:34

Hi, I've just finished this and enjoyed it. I must have stamina grin.

SPOILERS ALERT!!!!! Basically, after the baptism, Dorothy and the twins bugger off leaving Carmel and grandpa. Beth carries on searching for her over a period of 5 years.

Grandpa is still convinced she has healing qualities and takes her to lay hands on many people. Cue lots of hallelujah, praise the Lord type seminars.

When Carmel is 13 grandpa gets very old and ill, he knows he is weak and near death, he takes Carmel to a major religious festival, to heal people. The police arrive halfway through, and grandpa hands himself up as he knows he's about to die and is seeking forgiveness as he has his own epiphany and suddenly realised he has done a terrible thing in kidnapping Carmel.

Carmel runs off on her own and eventually cannot cope looking After herself so goes for help at a random house.

She is reunited with Beth a few days later.

The end! The good thing is it never turned into child sex abuse which I was worried about. It was purely about grandpas insane fanatical religious belief in her healing powers.

And she was never a ghost, she was definitely real and alive.

IDoAllMyOwnStunts Sat 06-Jun-15 15:33:39

Ah bugger, just read that you've finished it after typing all that, doh!grin

PlainHunting Sat 06-Jun-15 15:41:03

I didn't think it lived up to the hype. I was quite bored with it by the end.

Never occurred to me that she was a ghost tbh.

Aixoise Fri 12-Jun-15 15:57:28

Stunts thank you - am about 100 pages in and not sure whether I want to carry on - and your summary has convinced me not to - thank you smile! Find that before having my DD I would finish anything regardless but since have become a lot more ruthless and if I don't like anything, give up on it. Also as get books from the library rather than buy them I don't feel guilty either.
I thought it was ok but was not nearly as good as I expected - also, I don't know if anyone else found this, but I found the abduction situation really upsetting - kept imagining it happening to me and my DD so was not a particularly relaxing read.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now