Talk

Advanced search

A House Called Askival by Merryn Glover

(7 Posts)
unicornspecial Thu 14-May-15 21:18:15

I just picked up a copy of this on a whim.

It's about India, a woman goes back to her hometown to visit her sick father and that brings up all kinds of complicated feelings. It's so atmospheric and beautiful, I totally loved it. Has anyone else read it? I want to talk about it! It's on Kindle special offer for another while I think, I only paid £1.09 for it.

It reminds me a bit of a travel journal at times, but it's fiction.

IDoAllMyOwnStunts Fri 15-May-15 18:57:13

Hi, I'm only 8% through this but loving the story telling and descriptions so far. Will let you know how I get on! Have been looking for a decent book for ages, just seemed to have been reading crap, but this one looks promising.

tripfiction Sat 16-May-15 12:11:39

We are getting a copy and will be talking soon! The reviews on Amazon are amazing!

unicornspecial Wed 24-Jun-15 17:20:59

Nice! How did you guys get on?

I'm now looking for more books about India after enjoying this one.

tripfiction Sat 28-Nov-15 15:24:27

Finally. I read this book whilst in India, it made for such a multidimensional reading experience but would have enjoyed it anywhere! Have you seen the 5* ratings everywhere? www.tripfiction.com/novel-set-in-mussoorie-india/ There are also further recommended reads set in India @unicornspecial

magimedi Sat 28-Nov-15 17:58:03

I read this earlier this year & really enjoyed it. Was very sorry to finish it.

I love books set in India & will be back ( dinner calls) to list some of the ones I have really enjoyed.

tripfiction Mon 30-Nov-15 20:22:29

@maigmedi I have really enjoyed Ankush Saikia Dead Meat for Delhi and oh, Umi Sinha, Belonging, those who read it, rate it (inc me): www.tripfiction.com/novel-set-india-remember-cawnpore/ and Under a Jewelled Sky by Alison McQueen is great. And for something a little different.....!! The Kama Sutra Diaries by Sally Howard, really interesting www.tripfiction.com/book-set-in-india-2/ What are your top reads set in India?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now