Talk

Advanced search

A House Called Askival by Merryn Glover

(7 Posts)
unicornspecial Thu 14-May-15 21:18:15

I just picked up a copy of this on a whim.

It's about India, a woman goes back to her hometown to visit her sick father and that brings up all kinds of complicated feelings. It's so atmospheric and beautiful, I totally loved it. Has anyone else read it? I want to talk about it! It's on Kindle special offer for another while I think, I only paid £1.09 for it.

It reminds me a bit of a travel journal at times, but it's fiction.

OP’s posts: |
IDoAllMyOwnStunts Fri 15-May-15 18:57:13

Hi, I'm only 8% through this but loving the story telling and descriptions so far. Will let you know how I get on! Have been looking for a decent book for ages, just seemed to have been reading crap, but this one looks promising.

tripfiction Sat 16-May-15 12:11:39

We are getting a copy and will be talking soon! The reviews on Amazon are amazing!

unicornspecial Wed 24-Jun-15 17:20:59

Nice! How did you guys get on?

I'm now looking for more books about India after enjoying this one.

OP’s posts: |
tripfiction Sat 28-Nov-15 15:24:27

Finally. I read this book whilst in India, it made for such a multidimensional reading experience but would have enjoyed it anywhere! Have you seen the 5* ratings everywhere? www.tripfiction.com/novel-set-in-mussoorie-india/ There are also further recommended reads set in India @unicornspecial

magimedi Sat 28-Nov-15 17:58:03

I read this earlier this year & really enjoyed it. Was very sorry to finish it.

I love books set in India & will be back ( dinner calls) to list some of the ones I have really enjoyed.

tripfiction Mon 30-Nov-15 20:22:29

@maigmedi I have really enjoyed Ankush Saikia Dead Meat for Delhi and oh, Umi Sinha, Belonging, those who read it, rate it (inc me): www.tripfiction.com/novel-set-india-remember-cawnpore/ and Under a Jewelled Sky by Alison McQueen is great. And for something a little different.....!! The Kama Sutra Diaries by Sally Howard, really interesting www.tripfiction.com/book-set-in-india-2/ What are your top reads set in India?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in