Talk

Advanced search

Fantasy fans - any recommendations?

(49 Posts)
holmessweetholmes Sun 12-Apr-15 22:31:49

I am particularly keen on Tolkien (obvs), Neil Gaiman, and the wonderful Patrick Rothfuss but am keen to broaden my range of authors fantasy-wise. Can anyone recommend anything they've really loved (old or new)? Thanks!

Timeforabiscuit Sun 12-Apr-15 22:35:14

I'd say game of thrones, unless you've tapped that already?

I've branched into graphic novels recently which scratch the fantasy itch, Neil gaiman did one around magic which was interesting.

Pantygirdl Sun 12-Apr-15 22:41:29

Try the Godspeaker trilogy by Karen Miller. She also writes under K E Mills but I'd avoid those books.

Iatemyskinnyperson Sun 12-Apr-15 22:42:12

I like Robin Hobb

holmessweetholmes Sun 12-Apr-15 22:47:24

I read a couple of Game of Thrones but wasn't that keen tbh. I like Martin's ideas but not his writing style and found it a bit too gleefully 'shocking' Prefer the TV series actually. I like my fantasy books a bit heavier on the magic and other-worldliness and lighter on the incest and gore grin.

holmessweetholmes Sun 12-Apr-15 22:48:06

Right - will check out those two!

strawberrypenguin Sun 12-Apr-15 22:48:07

David Eddings is my favourite and my go to comfort reads - can take a little while to get going and his earlier stuff is much better than his later

Naomi Novik is good - napolionic war with dragons!

And yes Game of thrones if you haven't already.

VeryVeryDarkGrey Sun 12-Apr-15 22:48:27

Robin hobb is fantastic

PetraDelphiki Sun 12-Apr-15 22:48:39

Janny wurts curse of the mistwraith etc

MegBusset Sun 12-Apr-15 22:50:26

I'm currently rereading Hugh Cook's Chronicles of an Age of Darkness. They're out of print but you can get them second hand on Amazon, well worth tracking down.

Pantygirdl Sun 12-Apr-15 22:52:01

If you like magic themes try Trudy Canavan and Kristin Cashore.

fearcutsdeeperthanswords Sun 12-Apr-15 22:55:33

I second Robin Hobb and David Eddings. Eddings is a bit of an easy read but I do like the belgarion series.

RandomMess Sun 12-Apr-15 22:58:39

Dh says Tad Williams & Robin Hobb

Avonmore Sun 12-Apr-15 23:02:01

If you like epic fantasy, the 3 I've enjoyed most recently are
Brian Stavely- first book is The Emperor's Blades
Brandon Sanderson- the Stormlight Archive and
Peter V Brett- The Painted Man series.

Unfortunately none of them are finished yet so I'm always hanging on for the next one!

SmartAlecMetalGit Sun 12-Apr-15 23:04:37

Another vote for Robin Hobb. Love the Liveship, Farseer, Tawny Main and Rain Wilds trilogies, not so keen on the Soldier Son.

I really enjoyed the Black Magician trilogy by Trudi Canavan. Didn't enjoy Age of the Five as much.

Robert Holdstock. I've only read the Mythago Wood Cycle but really enjoyed it.

James Clemens' fantasy series (the Banned and the Banished, the Godslayer) are fairly light going but very entertaining. I'm very excited as I've just discovered that the publishing of the rest of the Godslayer series is finally in sight.

The Fool's Gold trilogy by Jude Fisher is another not too taxing but entertaining series.

RCheshire Sun 12-Apr-15 23:11:08

Janny wurts/Raymond first for solid easy reading, fantasy world, magic etc.

Philip Pullman of course - children's books but very good.

Williams, edding, hobb etc yet more easy reading. Limited novelty in them IMO.

Clive barker imajica for something a little more interesting

holmessweetholmes Sun 12-Apr-15 23:12:30

Ooh - making notes here! Thanks everyone. Oh and I know it is me asking for recs, not the other way round, but if you haven't read Patrick Rothfuss I would really really recommend him. My favourite books ever, I think. Just wish he'd pull his finger out and get around to writing the last one !

holmessweetholmes Sun 12-Apr-15 23:13:19

Getting a bit trigger - happy with the Amazon one click here!

GrouchyKiwi Sun 12-Apr-15 23:25:27

Jim Butcher. Dresden Files about a sorta PI magician in Chicago. They start a little slow but hook you in. And his Furies Of Calderon series (can't remember the actual series name right now) is fun too.

Definitely agree re Janny Wurts and Curse of the Mistwraith, and the series with Raymond E Feist, and his Riftwar Saga.

If you want to drift into steampunk with vampires, werewolves and ghosts then Gail Carriger is loads of fun.

GrouchyKiwi Sun 12-Apr-15 23:27:09

I also have a massive soft spot for Terry Brooks and his Shanarra books. They can be hit and miss but are some of my favourite reads.

Justahardworkingmum Sun 12-Apr-15 23:36:46

I really loved McMaster Bujold's Chalion series. I'm also a Rothfuss fan, waiting hopefully for number 3.

holmessweetholmes Mon 13-Apr-15 10:00:32

Thanks again, folks. Looking forward to getting into some of these!

theknackster Mon 13-Apr-15 10:23:03

For those who like the GoT books, you might want to try Joe Abercrombie - start with 'the blade itself' and enjoy (hopefully!).

theknackster Mon 13-Apr-15 10:26:16

Oh, and I enjoyed some of 'the witcher' books (Andrzej Sapkowski), but I can't remember which ones, apologies blush

TodaysAGoodDay Mon 13-Apr-15 21:15:06

Ursula Le Guinn writes some wonderful fantasy stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now