Talk

Advanced search

Bloody bastard chicklit with crap endings - sick of it, recommend a good one please!

(115 Posts)
RachelRoyce Sun 12-Apr-15 15:27:20

Adele Parks 'The state we're in' is the last one I read. I will not be reading anything else she has written, ever. Grrrrr. That's the 3rd book I've read this week with an absolutely shite ending angry
I won't give anything away but the ending was just wrong. The two others I read just ended in a splat rather than a bang.

Is there no new, well written chick lit (oh how I hate that term)? I read good 'normal' fiction but I'm on holiday and I just want feel good happiness. I like Jill Mansell, Cathy Kelly and Fiona Walker. I have wifi and my kindle, best recommendations here please. Thanks!

TryingToBeHelpful Sun 12-Apr-15 15:30:53

Anything by Milly Johnson, but especially The Yorkshire Pudding Club. Not new, but she has lots more recent one
Enjoy!

Lj8893 Sun 12-Apr-15 15:38:00

I was soooooo cross with that ending!!!!

RachelRoyce Sun 12-Apr-15 16:01:21

Lj8893 - OMG! I'm still fuming. Worst ending EVER (and I've read Gone Girlgrin).

I have read a Milly Johnson - something to do with a cruise (just flicked through my kindle) and I'm sure I remember enjoying that (is it bad that I can't remember which chicklit is which? I did read it last summer in fairness, it's the downside of the kindle, you can't read the back cover and have a quick dip in to remind yourself so easily) so I'll try the Yorkshire pudding club, thanks!

ZappDingbat Sun 12-Apr-15 16:06:11

Lesley Pearce. Love her books. Great characters, gripping stories told over generations. I read loads of them over 12 years ago. May re read just to make sure they were good.

GetHappy Sun 12-Apr-15 16:18:08

I love Paige Toon. Her older books. Chasing Daisy is really good!

VeryVeryDarkGrey Sun 12-Apr-15 16:25:23

Its not really chicklit (i dont know how to categorise it) but jodi taylors books are very good. Female lead, bit of romance, bit of comedy. I think the first one is Just One Damn Thing After Another. Nice and light but still well written, perfect for a holiday i reckon

MimsyBorogroves Sun 12-Apr-15 17:03:37

Mhairi McFarlane is good, especially her new one...the title of which I can't remember right now. Will get back to you!

Sleepyfergus Sun 12-Apr-15 17:09:48

I came on to post almost the same. Am after a really good 'chick lit' to get stuck into. I like some of Fiona Walkers stuff but it can be a bit hit or miss. I love Jilly Copper style stuff, esp the early stuff like Polo, Riders, Rivals etc but a lot of copy cat stuff lacks the substance she puts into her characters.

So marking with interest, kindle at the ready!!!

YonicScrewdriver Sun 12-Apr-15 17:17:20

Mhairi mcfarlane
Marian Keyes
Elizabeth Noble, especially The Reading Group

mrsruffallo Sun 12-Apr-15 17:20:05

santa montefiore - they are usually a good, light read. By the sea is my favourite.

thelittlebooktroll Sun 12-Apr-15 17:40:14

Leanne Moriarty? I liked The Husbands Secret and What Alice Forgot

SecretSquirrels Sun 12-Apr-15 17:43:49

I love Erica James. It's not often I read chic lit but her's is a cut above the rest. I just finished The Hidden Cottage. It was a lovely relaxing read.
Also perhaps Katie Fforde or Sinead Moriarty?

Southeastdweller Sun 12-Apr-15 19:00:19

I recently enjoyed the novel by actress Celia Imrie - Not Quite Nice.

RachelRoyce Sun 12-Apr-15 20:48:19

Thanks for the other recommendations. I'm watching this thread so I don't lose it and will load up on some more for the summer holidays. Off to start yorkshire puddings.

Ps Still fuming with Adele she's dead to me Parks angry grin

hooker29 Sun 12-Apr-15 22:52:55

another vote for Elizabeth Noble, and Erica James.Also like Jojo Moyes and Harriet Evans.
Have you tried Dorothy Koomson-not really chick lit but I really like her.

ladygracie Sun 12-Apr-15 23:46:23

I loved that book by Adele Parks but I lent it to a friend recently and she really didn't like it either for exactly the same reasons. Agree with all the suggestions so far & was hoping to find some sneaky kindle bargains from some.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Sun 12-Apr-15 23:49:44

I really enjoyed the trilogy "Samantha Smyths Modern Family Journal" (first books name), even with the really really shite title. Am sure they were by Lucy Cavendish. Really good for chick lit.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Sun 12-Apr-15 23:50:38

Oh and Me Before You is brilliant (not sure if it is technically Chick Lit but Id put it in that category)

JemimaPuddled Sun 12-Apr-15 23:58:14

Yy OP, some nice escapist holiday reading smile
Try Lucy Diamond - one night in Italy particularly enjoyable. I'm sure you have come across Marian Keyes, imho the older ones better than the new.

DonnaKebab66 Mon 13-Apr-15 09:39:44

Dorothy Koomsoon and Lisa Jewell are really good reads.

AlternativeTentacles Mon 13-Apr-15 09:42:51

Why are you reading 'chicklit' in the first place? Try reading some proper books, that might sort out your issues.

maudpringles Mon 13-Apr-15 09:46:05

Jenny Eclair writes some cracking stories, bit dark at times but will keep you turning the pages.

JemimaPuddled Mon 13-Apr-15 10:13:41

Alternative get your judgy pants off. Each to their own. In my case I'm in need of something escapist, pointless and enjoyable. I read academic texts and non-fiction the majority of the time by necessity, and want a frivolous read for on holidays. You should try a little lightweight entertainment yourself grin

AlternativeTentacles Mon 13-Apr-15 10:39:18

Alternative get your judgy pants off. Each to their own. You should try a little lightweight entertainment yourself

That's absolutely fine, if that's what you like. The OP is whining about the chicklit begin shit though...the point being that if she is reading shit, then shit is what she will get.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now