Talk

Advanced search

A spool of Blue Thread

(12 Posts)
Sallystyle Fri 20-Mar-15 12:47:26

Almost finished with this one.

I haven't read much Anne Tyler before but I am loving this one.

Anyone else read it?

OP’s posts: |
hackmum Fri 20-Mar-15 16:48:35

Yes - thought it was terrific. One of her best.

BsshBosh Fri 20-Mar-15 17:38:38

I agree. Definitely up there with her best. What a pro she is, still at the height of her game on her 20th novel!

toothlessoldhag Sat 21-Mar-15 08:35:06

I'm on the waiting list at the library. Can't wait.

Has anyone been listening to her 'Ladder of Years', on BBC radio 4? It's still available: www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b055fy0k

Sallystyle Sat 21-Mar-15 10:12:55

What other books of hers do people recommend?

OP’s posts: |
toothlessoldhag Sat 21-Mar-15 11:46:38

The Accidental Tourist
A Patchwork Planet
The Amateur Marriage

Hygellig Tue 24-Mar-15 17:40:08

I love all Anne Tyler's books and this one was no exception. I love how she can create interesting and intricate portraits of everyday and sometimes mundane family life. I heard a brief interview she gave with Mark Lawson in which she said she wrote it as a family saga in three parts that could each stand alone in case she died leaving an unfinished novel sad. She also said this may be her last novel as she's now 73 - I hope she will still write more!

I would have liked to have learned more about Denny's life which largely remained a mystery and it also never explained why he told his parents he was gay.

FunMitFlags Tue 24-Mar-15 21:05:15

Can't wait to read this.

U2 my favourite is Accidental Tourist. Breathing Lessons and Ladder of Years are excellent too. I don't think she's written any dud books tbh.

Theknacktoflying Thu 26-Mar-15 16:02:13

Love AT - 'Beginner's Goodbye' was fab too.

SirVixofVixHall Thu 26-Mar-15 16:13:06

I read it a month or so back. I aways enjoy Anne Tyler, so shrewd and understated. The Clock Winder is my favourite of hers, it was the first one I read and I still love it.

BsshBosh Sat 28-Mar-15 20:14:42

never explained why he told his parents he was gay

Oh yes, I forgot this was never explained!

ByronBaby Thu 09-Apr-15 11:46:00

I love Anne Tyler too - when my DTs were new borns there was something in the language she chooses that made me weep profusely! You might also like Penelope Lively and Barbara Trapido.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in