Talk

Advanced search

RIP Terry Pratchett

(43 Posts)
RueDeWakening Thu 12-Mar-15 15:45:55

Just heard on the BBC that Terry Pratchett has died. I met him a couple of times, he was a lovely bloke and I shall miss him.

OP’s posts: |
MrsWembley Thu 12-Mar-15 16:04:04

I'm sat here in my car, crying at the news.

Ridiculous, I know, but I'm hormonal and very sad. sad

weebarra Thu 12-Mar-15 16:04:50

So very sad. RIP Terry

Bimblepops Thu 12-Mar-15 16:05:00

I had a little weep as well. He will be very missed. Great writer and campaigner.

elfycat Thu 12-Mar-15 16:06:03

sniff sniff

zeldapinwheel Thu 12-Mar-15 16:06:29

It's so sad. His books helped me through a dark time in my life. My son was named after one of his characters.

Houseworkavoider Thu 12-Mar-15 16:08:56

Very sad sad

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Thu 12-Mar-15 16:13:43

There's another thread already

So gutted. Have all his books, have read them so many times, they've brought me so much comfort and I can't believe there won't be anymore. Possible one unfinished one still to go but then that'll be it. Can't believe it.

And no I haven't name changed, this is my name. sad

tiggytape Thu 12-Mar-15 16:51:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CastielsClevererBetterSister Thu 12-Mar-15 16:57:36

I don't get sad at celebrity deaths but Terry P wasn't just a celebrity. He was a key to my own imagination. I always loved books but from the first line of the very first Discworld book I read I felt rather than imagined the world and characters he created. There is humour, depth and a feeling of genuine caring about the people in those pages.
Hope he's drinking with Vimes and Nanny Ogg . Raise a glass Sir Terry and sing a verse of 'A Wizard's Staff' for me.

RueDeWakening Thu 12-Mar-15 17:57:40

I've had a little weep too - I met my DH because of Discworld (long story!) and have loved Pterry's books since I was 11 or so, so getting on 30 years.

OP’s posts: |
Amummyatlast Thu 12-Mar-15 19:01:17

Very sad. My Discworld fasination started when I was 14 and started using my pocket money to buy his books. I can't believe there won't any more adventures with Captain Carrot, Moist Von Lipwig, Granny Weatherwax or any of his other fantastic characters.

Thebewilderbeest Thu 12-Mar-15 19:40:41

RIP Terry, a true genius. His books brought so much joy and inspiration to so many.

RatOnnaStick Thu 12-Mar-15 19:50:16

sad. I shall be starting with Equal Rites tonight I think.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Thu 12-Mar-15 19:56:52

I need to start again from the beginning, I think. Although even TP said TCOM and TLF are hard going compared to his later works.

RatOnnaStick Thu 12-Mar-15 20:04:05

Yes, I only managed TCOM once, TLF a couple of times. As an 11yr old girl ER resonated.

Sonnet Thu 12-Mar-15 20:08:24

Ashamed to say I have only ever read Truckers and Diggers. Would like to read more as a sort of tribute/acknowledgment of his life - where would you recommend I start? Thank you

TheCatAteMyTaxReturn Thu 12-Mar-15 20:15:12

Sadly missed, cheered up my childhood no end.

Although even TP said TCOM and TLF are hard going compared to his later works.

I agree.

The ones with Death in them were always my favourites - spot the goth on this thread.

Fuck Alzheimers. FOTTFSOFAWYGTFOSM

Whyhasnooneusedvimesyet Thu 12-Mar-15 20:24:39

Had taken Guards! Guards! to read during labour and just started Good Omens at the weekend. He'll be sadly missed.

Sonnet Thu 12-Mar-15 20:35:04

I perusal of our bookshelves show dd1 has Wee Free Men and A Hat Full of Sky - the first 2 Tiffany Aching books I believe - I shall start there smile

MrsHenryCrawford Thu 12-Mar-15 20:38:43

So sad, RIP Terry, a true genius

QuietNinjaTardis Thu 12-Mar-15 20:44:36

It's very sad. I have most of his books and have read them since I was a child. I met him once too and he's a brilliant man. The world lost a good one today.

cdtaylornats Thu 12-Mar-15 21:12:29

Nimoy now Pratchett - some bugger is really trying to depress me.

RatOnnaStick Thu 12-Mar-15 21:25:06

Sonnet when you've read those, start with Guards Guards and then Men At Arms. I always think they are the best examples of TPs best writing. Very funny.

tribpot Thu 12-Mar-15 21:32:17

Very sad about this. He has created such a huge legacy through his writing but he was far too young to leave us.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in